• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8kra2+ befuddlement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlailBoy

Just put it together.

8kra2+
512mb pc3500 mushk lvl2 blk
Barton 2500 aqxea 0325 (unlocked)

FSB jumpers are in default (by BIOS) position. FSB/CPU default was 100*11. Just left it there and installed WIN98se. Up and running.

Went into BIOS and the first problem I noticed was that for DRAM clock I'm supposed to have 'By Spd', 100, 133, 166, and 200. The only options there were 'By Spd' and 133.

What???

No idea. Left it at 'By Spd'. Anyway, set it to default for the 2500 at 166*AUTO (11). Could not get into windows.

Restarted. Manually set to 166*11. And *then* my DRAM options all showed up. Could not get into windows.

Got a few different error messages trying to figure this out: missing files (.vxd, .dll), protection fault error, himem detected an error-gave an address.

1. Bad mem stick seems obvious, right?

EDIT: Don't think it's bad mem. Might not have liked running out of sync or maybe it was undervolted.

2. What is going on with the BIOS DRAM settings?

Last edited:
Kind of answered my own question.

Cleared CMOS just in case.

Went into BIOS, set to expert. Then I had to nudge up the mem/FSB in sync going thru DRAM timings 133,166,200 *rebooting every time*. Each time I nudged it up the next higher mem speed appeared.

What the...? :confused:

It worked. Now running at 200 *9.5-a little over stock for a 2500. Mem is showing at DDR 400. FSB is 200.8. Mem is 1:1.

I now have all the options for DRAM.

Anyone out there with one of these boards running over 200: are you using 200 for your DRAM timings or are you using 'By Spd'?

I also set my mem to 2.70v. Default was 2.5. Doesn't really belong here; but what is stock voltage for pc3500 mushk lvl2 blk? Thought I read is was above 2.5.

No more boot errors.

Back