• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nOOb question- the leak test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flowrider

Just a stupid questions for you all. I've just finished setting up my 1st water cooling setup and need to fill, test, and run the system. My question is this: How do I get power to the pump without hooking everything up? I would like to test just the water setup without power having to go through the cpu and the rest of the system in case I did something wrong.

Thanks for you help.

not a stupid question, this could save ur comp! DO NOT i repeat DO NOT test your setup in your comp put it aside in the kitchen or bathroom ontop of a paper towels and just check if it does leak...you dont want to test your first setup inside your comp...ok, usually about 24-48 hours will do

what pump do you have? do you have a relay? if its a normal pump just pour some water in your tubes, start the pump then keep filling till you don't have to any more. if you have a 12 volt pump running of your powersupply, short the green and black wires on the mobo plug, without anything else plugged in. if you have a relay, commercially available ones have a setup where you can run the pump alone.

Ahh, Thanks guys!!!

I have a Swiftech MCP600 that is definitely a 12V pump. No relay to speak of. So I can short any the green wire and ANY black wire (cuz there's like 6 of them)?

Thanks again guys. I'll give it a shot. I did do the quicky leak test that Swiftech recommends where you create a vacuum in the system, shut off all the valves, leave it for a couple of minutes, then put your finger over one of the tubes and release the valve. If there is suction the system is supposed to be 'leakproof.'

im pretty sure you can use any black wire. i usually use the one right next to the green and a paper clip and i have had no porblems.

Depends on where it is leaking. If the hose-to-barb connection is leaking, then you can try reclamping it first. If that doesn't work, then you can check to see if their is any strain on the hose or if the hose is cut unevenly that might prevent it from sealing. If the threaded barb connection is leaking, then you probably need to remove the barb and reinstall some plumber's pipe tape on the barb threads.

I don't think that teflon tape (plumbers tape) will void the warranty as well. Reading some posts from Billa it appears that gooping anything on a pump will void warranty.

Back