• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Use a relay

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
I haven't been, and today I got a wakeup call when I couldn't figure out why my PC kept restarting.

Scared the hell out of me since it's my new A64 rig.

I'm off to buy one now.

uh how would not buying a relay cause your comp to keep restarting. If your not using a relay then i assume the pump is running 24/7, or its plugged into your surge protector. With either setup your comp wouldnt overheat and restart.

Hows that new A64 cpu?!?

umm...so you leave your pumps on even when the comp isnt on...? I might consider it, if i didnt have this GAY Via Aqua 1300, which is loud, hot, and stupid! I'm getting a L30 instead now - - and when 'that' comes, I am going to get an ON/OFF switch from RadioShack and slap that on the front of my case (since the power cord runs out the back of my case, along side the PSU - i cut a small slit for it) i can splice into the power line, and insert a switch like that.

umm...so you leave your pumps on even when the comp isnt on...?

Nope. They're both plugged into the UPS.

Shutdown Procedure:

1. Shut down computer
2. Turn off power to UPS

Computer and pump are both now disconnected from power.

Boot Procedure:

1. Turn on power to UPS - Pump and computer are both now powered on
2. Boot computer.

Wow...people turn their computers off? Why?

15 cents US per kilowatt hour and I use the machine for about 6 hours per day. I've systems that I built back in 1998 that are still running fine and are shut off and turned back on several times per day by the owners. IMHO, the benefits of leaving a machine on 24/7 are a bit overrated.

Last edited:
I just forgot to plu it back in, it makes some noise and bothers me when I sleep.

Anyway, the A64 rig is pwning hard core. almost 18K in 3dmark at stock on a dirty install.

my friend has all his computer componants connected on one surge protector, including his pump. Whenever he turns off his computer, he switches the surge off. He does this becuase he cares about his $500 Klipish sound system and monitor (they go on stand by.. and hes obsessive) but anyways it serves as a metal relay switch for his pump as well. woudl work nice with you as well, you can have a little light connected to it so you remember to turn it off. hell, saves $20 bucks on a relay

from what ive read its actually better to keep your comp running on all the time. As most of you know, as thing heat up they expand, and the cores are no exception. So when you boot from cold they expand and when you shut it off it condenses again, this expansion and compression isnt good for you cpu and wears it down. If you leave it running 24/7 it stays expanded and they is less wear.

Raider84 said:
If you leave it running 24/7 it stays expanded and they is less wear.

The small amount of damage which may occur to a modern CPU from expansion and contraction is so minimal that it really is not appreciable from the standpoint of relative life.

Here's an apocryphal scenario:

standard CPU life expectancy when not overclocked:

15 years

amount of deterioration from expansion and contraction:

10%

Diminished life expectancy:

13.5 years

Now honestly, do you expect to still be using the same CPU 13.5 years from now?

Here's another way to look at it:

Average US electrical cost: 5 cents per kilowat hour

Average use of a CPU on standby: 20 watts

Approximate KW/H per day: 4

cost per day: 20 cents
per month: $6
per year: $72
over the average (diminished) life of the CPU: $972

Now if you look at my power rates, the cost is:

cost per day: 60 cents
per month: $18
per year $216

Now, for a new AMD XP CPU as of today:

2500+ Barton = $84.98 (at www.mwave.com)

Looks like I can just about afford to buy a new processor every 4 months at my rate. You can just about afford a new one every year.

Keeping a computer running 24/7 to "save" the hardware does not make ECONOMIC sense. Now if you're folding, or doing SETI, or some other noble task, that's different...

Back