• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

400GPH vs 90GPH temps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drak55

well my 400gph pump too a crap today bigtime. so I had to hook up this little giant 90gph pump. I have it setup inline. my temps with the 400gph were around 29c-39c. now with the 90gph the temps are 31.5c-40c not a big difference. all thats with 3 Wb's.
I thought higher flow rates gave you better temps.

You can't just go by what the GPH of a pump is. You have to look at the graph and shows Head vs Flow to get an idea of how much water is being pumped theoretically. This is not counting anything like 90 degree angles or the flow resistance of the blocks. There is no way you are pumping 400GPH through a system with 3 blocks. I have a mag 3 with 3 DD blocks and I'm guess it's running ~100GPH after all the restrictions and such, but my temps are 32c full load.

They can. There are 4 things you need to have a high flow water-cooling system.

1. Pump
2. Waterblock that can handle hi flow with little back pressure
3. Adequate CFM fans
4. Large enough radiator

Just because you have the bump doesn’t mean you’ll have great temps.

What fans do you have on the radiator and what size is the radiator?
I’m building my new system at Iowa State University and using their money and testing out new designed waterblocks for high flow laminar flow. I would have to say about 100% of the water blocks on the market today are for low flow turbulent flow. I’m having made CPU, GPU, and Northbridge waterblocks for high flow. My heater core is 10 ¾” x 6 3/8” x 2 1/2 “ with two 172x38mm Y.S. Tech fans for cooling. They’re rated at 256 CFM and 51 dB but I put a fan speed controller on them and have them around 125 CFM each and total 38-40 dB.

Dead pump was a Flotec 400.
now little giant 90.
NB-Zchip
CPU-Maze3
Vid also from DD.
DD-Heater core.
2-Sunon SP101A, 120X120X38mm, Ball Bearing, 87/107CFM, 45/50dBA on the core.

here are a few pics.

P0000001.jpg

dualfans.jpg

P0000003.jpg

elbows.jpg

vidblock.jpg

pardon the mess had to rerout some stuff I will clean it up when I get a new pump.

Biznatch said:
Well all those 90's have to be KILLING your flow.

That one going to the vid card not only has a 90 degree turn, but the tube also pretty much goes round full circle!

ThePimpulator.

What he is saying is that with those 90's your 400gph pump is only actually flowing maybe 100 os so gph. With the 90 it is possible flowing 80gph. It doesnt care about the 90's as much cause it doesnt flow enough. Get it. With a less restirictive system you get more flow with higher flowing pumps exponentially. I think thats what I meant at least.

trojanman said:
What he is saying is that with those 90's your 400gph pump is only actually flowing maybe 100 os so gph. With the 90 it is possible flowing 80gph. It doesnt care about the 90's as much cause it doesnt flow enough. Get it. With a less restirictive system you get more flow with higher flowing pumps exponentially. I think thats what I meant at least.

something like that. Im getting the same temps with either pump the 400gph and the 90gph

temps90gph.jpg

this one was take a few min's ago. with the 90gph

settings&temp.jpg

this shot was taken the other day with the 400gph pump running.

I have a mag 3 with 3 DD blocks and I'm guess it's running ~100GPH after all the restrictions and such
*Edit - My bad. That looks about right.

1C improvement just from changing pumps isn't really bad. Obviously (assuming all other variables are eliminated...like that's going to happen) you got some improvement with a higher flow pump. What makes a big difference with flow is your waterblock. Some waterblocks experience only a marginal performance increase with higher flow, while others have a more significant performance increase. For example, if you could double your setup's flowrates, a Maze 4 would give, say, 1C better, while a White Water might give 3C better.

*Edit - that's Litres Per Minute, not Gallons Per Hour. Whee...I'm out of it. :D

Last edited:
As stated above, actual flowrate and what a pump is rated for are two very different things. :)

IF you had a system that actually ran at 400 gph it would perform somewhat better than a system that ran at 100 gph; exactly how much better and cooler it would run I cannot say. But it would.

I have an example of the same thing myself, due to two different pumps:
Eheim 1048- about 150 gph. I needed this pump for another system
MaxiJet (forget model)- about 300 gph. New "upgrade" pump.

Temps with the MaxiJet (rated at TWICE the flowrate) were the same as with the Eheim. The MaxiJet lasted about 3 months and started leaking everywhere.

The Eheim may have been rated for less, but due to its other technical specs and its design, was a better pump and actually pushed about the same flowrate through the system.

I do not have a Little Giant pump, but I do know a bit about them, and they are VERY strong pumps!! Much more likely to actually get near their rated flowrate than most of the ones used in watercooling- including Eheims, Hydors and Danner Mag pumps.

dude the zchip is another flow restricter on top of those 90's and also the gfx block too, whats the head presure on your pump and also mother board sensors arent correct unless calibrated correctly.

rogerdugans said:

I do not have a Little Giant pump, but I do know a bit about them, and they are VERY strong pumps!! Much more likely to actually get near their rated flowrate than most of the ones used in watercooling- including Eheims, Hydors and Danner Mag pumps.

I cant tell this pump is running. the other one from the day I got it, it made a little noise.

Back