• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S boots to black screen :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gogetadbl

I just got a new NF7-S from newegg and when I set it up it booted up fine 1 time. I accidentally barely kicked my desk and the power went off and I had to reset cmos to turn it back on, but when i turned it back on...it went to a black screen. My monitor doesn't change and the button does the same thing it does when the computer is off. I've tried switching video cards, setting the board on cardboard and booting, switching memory, but none have had any success. Is there anything else I can do?

Ever try re-seating your CPU? Try that and use thermal paste when you put your heatsink back on. Also turn the main switch off in the back of your PSU and wait a minute. Then flip it back on and see if it works. Do you think there could be a loose screw in your case? It could have fallen down when you bumped the desk and shorted something out.

You can flush the bios by setting the CMOS jumper to clear, remove the memory battery and disconnect the power supply and let the board sit for a couple of hours, preferably over night.

Reset the jumper, reconnect the PSU and replace the battery.
I've seen this work several times for me and others in similar circumstances.

ZachM said:
Ever try re-seating your CPU? Try that and use thermal paste when you put your heatsink back on. Also turn the main switch off in the back of your PSU and wait a minute. Then flip it back on and see if it works. Do you think there could be a loose screw in your case? It could have fallen down when you bumped the desk and shorted something out.

Just tried reseating the CPU and still a blank screen :(. I'm not sure if the loose screw would do anything since I tried the board on top of a piece of cardboard.

kagee108, I'll try your suggestion tonight, thanks

The system is as follows:
512MB Buffalo DDR400
SLK-947 (could this be part of the problem? does the setup make the CPU shake?)
Stock NB cooler
No SATA
No IDE (using controller card)
Floppy connected
Connecting using both power connectors

After you have let the board sit... before rebooting, remove everything except for the video card, including your controller card and floppy. Then try to post. If you get the post screen, start adding devices and cards one at a time, and reboot everytime.
If one of the cards or devices is at fault, you will notice it right away as you machine will not post after adding that device.

Another thing, if your machine will not post the first time with your existing video card, try swapping the video card with another known good one.

Good luck!

kagee108 said:
After you have let the board sit... before rebooting, remove everything except for the video card, including your controller card and floppy. Then try to post. If you get the post screen, start adding devices and cards one at a time, and reboot everytime.
If one of the cards or devices is at fault, you will notice it right away as you machine will not post after adding that device.

Another thing, if your machine will not post the first time with your existing video card, try swapping the video card with another known good one.

Good luck!

Aww, same thing even with another PCI video card that works. The green and red lights are on though, but no beep :(

kagee108 said:
Sounds like the bios chip is gone.... RMA time.

Sorry bro.... doo doo happens!:(

*cry , i'm gonna call abit once their phone support is up , then it's RMA time :(. Is there a way to tell if it is the bios chip, since doesn't bios chip problem still load up a bit and say that there's a bios problem?

Usually it's either good or bad... nothing in between. There is no way to confirm it that I am aware of other than to put in a new one. But you are under warranty... I wouldn't mess with replacing the bios chip. Anyway it could be something else on the board too.
You never know.

kagee108 said:
Usually it's either good or bad... nothing in between. There is no way to confirm it that I am aware of other than to put in a new one. But you are under warranty... I wouldn't mess with replacing the bios chip. Anyway it could be something else on the board too.
You never know.

I'm gonna test a bit of stuff out and I guess it's RMA time, I'm just sick of all this expensive shipping :(.

CURSES!! I just experienced a similar problem - I was updating the BIOS from the d10 modded to the d23 (the d10 was giving me bad stability and bad overclocking... grrr...) and then the same thing happened to me... both lights are on and the system does nothing... I've been hoping and praying that I didn't lose the bios... god dammit, RMA takes sooooo long :( *cries*

it sound that bios version older than 14d have bug the bios can be corupted and the mobo die and never post again

Back