• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S Tips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Veteran OCer looking for NF7-S Tips

I kinda consider myself an veteran OCer after *dealing* with my KT600 board......(need I say more?)

Ive done just about everything, except sodering. Now from a veteran perspective, I want to know about the quirks/problems/tips to getting this monster off the ground.

Although I dont have as many limitations as I did with my VIA board, I still have some I gotta work around. Im willing to try anything, so long as its been done before and is proven to be effective.

Now.....

Things to keep in mind:

I only have one stick of RAM (VIA dosnt have dual-chnl)
Dual Channel isnt possible yet.

Using Mushkin 3500 Level 1 Black ( Im not confident that its BH5, it might be CH6/5)

CPU will do at least 2.35 @ 1.72v

Only using an SK7 ( no mounting holes on previous board:mad: )

The Goals:

Gain 220 or higher mgz on the bus

2-3-3-6 or tighter

How easily will be able to achieve this? What mods/BIOS/drivers should I use. As always Overclockers.com is the best. Im finally jumping on the NF7 bandwagon.

I've had 2 NF7-S's. Heres what i've seen and encountered:

10, 10.5 mult problem : anything above 223fsb using these multipliers with cpu enhance enabled isnt stable. Disabling the cpu function increases the latency on the nb therefore taking a major hit in performance.

Vdd mod problem...killed my first nf7-s. Heres my post about it, it explains what not to do. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=258910

Vcore fluctuation: some cool there mosfets to HELP this, not cure it. I find my mosfets to be rather cool, not even warm.

Thats about it, I run the D21 bios Patched. Need any help, feel free to PM or IM me on aim.

So its easy to get over 220? Most pplz sigs cant break 215. Heres my 3dmark score to compare:

http://service.futuremark.com/servl...ojectdetails&projectType=10&projectId=1762096

Thnx for the help. Still, is there a link so I can copy the best BIOS/drivers. Now another question, how stable is 11x (that what im gonna run)

Finally what does you 3dmark score look like. Im tryin to get a sense who has the better N/S bridge; either DFI or Abit.

Goal:

220~230

2.4~2.5

ie: 223 x 11 = ~2.453

3dmark01 ~ 20-21k
3dmak03 ~ 62-6400k

Current: ~6136

Last edited:
Carmine_Paterno said:
I've had 2 NF7-S's. Heres what i've seen and encountered:

10, 10.5 mult problem : anything above 223fsb using these multipliers with cpu enhance enabled isnt stable. Disabling the cpu function increases the latency on the nb therefore taking a major hit in performance.

Does this problem appear on NF7 also?

I was told disabling CPU Disconnect Function will help your overall overclock. Is this advise wrong? What is this CPU Disconnect Function do? Or does it help/hurt system stability?

How do the new NF7s stack up right now? How likely will it go over 220 with minimal effort? I nees to get these anwsers ASAP, Im getting impatient and want to get rid of my VIA board:D

How do the new NF7s stack up right now? How likely will it go over 220 with minimal effort? I nees to get these anwsers ASAP, Im getting impatient and want to get rid of my VIA board

Go for it!!! Can't guarantee that you'll go over 220, but you've got a really good chance. And since you're willing to take the time & effort to really fine tune it, I don't think you'll have any problems. I've got 2 NF7-S's running now, the one in my sig below, and another one that I mostly use just for folding. The one in my sig below would probably get over 220 (L12 Mod) but I'm content with it there. The other one has an 1800+, 512 Buffalo PC3700 (256mbx2) BH5 and a Fortron 530w psu. It's running @ 2530MHz (220x11.5). And these rigs are rock solid stable! I checked them each out running Prime 95 for 48+ hours with no problems. And they have been folding 24/7 for over 3 months now (my main rig much longer). So I've been very happy with my NF7-S's!!! In fact I have one more ordered & should be delivered today. Nothing's a sure thing with overclocking, but this is about close to it as you're going to get. Good luck!

*Edit*
One more thing, bios 10 is the best for oc'ing unless you're using SATA. But there's a hacked version of bios 10 with the new SATA drivers out, use that if you're running a SATA hdd.

Last edited:
Thnx, im awaiting info on a dfi board, but unless my Level 1 RAM is Windond BH-5 im gonna buy an NF7

Excelltent:D what BIOS are you using. You currently have my target FSB and the same RAM!! Plz reply, your info is most important to me!

Im not necessarly interested in a V-dimm mod. How far did ya get with the stock 2.9v. I hope its over 220:(

Back