• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I love experimenting on old hardware.... (2 pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

=ACID RAIN=

It's old hardware and it doesn't need watercooling, but it sure was fun setting it up, and now it's silent and the system is cooler than before - it had an older case.

The hardware:
PII 350MHz not overclocked
512MB pc100
2x 40GB Maxtor
60GB Maxtor
cdrom

Black ice radiator
ViaAqua 1300
gemini spiral adapted to slot-1

The gemini block's acrylic top was drilled to fit the slot-1 heatplate mounts and bolted to it. It originally held the heatsink, for those that haven't seen one. Nothing special, just a mild cooling solution. This is my fileserver and webserver, so I don't overclock it at all. I did this just for fun, and it made it a little quieter like I said :).

webwater1.jpg

fileserver.jpg

The radiator inlet and outlet has a small raised area that is supposed to hold 3/8 tubing on tight, but it didn't really work in testing. Instead of using conventional clamps such as hose clamps or zip ties, I used a piece of 1/2 tygon tubing, licked it, and slid it onto the 3/8 tube, thereby constricting it. It looks good, and it should hold quite well over time. I could have used small zip ties in the tight area between the fan and power supply as well (rad inlet and outlet location), but I couldn't find my zip ties at the moment :p. No leaks overnight, so I should be in the clear, especially considering it only leaked in testing if I put a sheering force on the hose.

The system is my web and file server, and I have backup hardware on the shelf in case of issues. I was careful anways of course, but did not do a leak test. Since it hosts my webpage, I needed it back online asap. That's not recommended for noobs, but since I'm no noob (lol) I felt safe.

I'll drop some additives in the water later, I just finished and got it back online for now. This would be a good starter seup for a watercooling noob, and I'd recommend anytime that if you have older hardware that won't be missed (or can be replaced), that's where you should start on watercooling. It's fun, and you're not so nervous when you set it up. I started on my gaming rig, and I was nervous since it was expensive equipment (and my first watercooling setup). On the PII 350 I was relaxed though :)

The gemini I have was a socket-A block like normal, I just drilled it to fit the slot-1 heatplate mounts. It barely fit, with the drill scratching the copper on each side as I went through the acrylic.

What kind of funkadelic keyboard have you got in the background there, not the black one, the white one?

Big_Baller said:
Really awsome. I think I will prommy a 286 now :D
That's going back a bit too far I think. Something that minor could be cooled not only by a small fridge, but possibly an oven (and still work) as well. :D

Looks pretty awesome! But, now that you have gone that far, don't you just want to go buy a Duron with a motherboard for 39.99??? Lol. Looks great man!

-Collin-

I have a duron in my gameserver now, and I was tempted to watercool it. The webserver can afford more downtime than the gameserver at this point though, so I left it alone. Well, that and I have backup hardware for the webserver, but not the gameserver.

JDXNC, I practically am on passive cooling, because the fan I have on it doesn't push hardly any air. The reason is the powersupply overpowers it in the negative-pressure case (dual fan PS). If I added a side panel fan, it would probably help. The waterblock actually feels lukewarm if I open the case and put my finger on it right now, but cools down when the case is left open. I have it set up this way because the front panel has air filters that allow air to be pulled over the three hard drives, keeping them cool. I doubt the heat will do anything to the cpu, given the heatplate feels cool (no buildup of heat). My goal would be to cool the cpu better but also keeps the drives cool. I'd still like to keep it silent as well. I'll see if I can come up with something :)

Edit: fixed it. I set the rad fan to pull in, and raised the voltage to the PS fans. They are Sanyo Denki fans on a rheostat turned all the way down, so I just cranked it up halfway and put the sides back on. Now it really moves air, and it's still nearly silent. Not bad :)

Last edited:
Back