• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

These temps cant possibly be right...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sHape oF gReY

...can they?

I just installed a WC system (WW(AS5)/Eheim 1250,Pro Core (2x120mm fans,maze 4 GPU). With air cooling ( SFII at full RPM) my idle CPU temp was 35-36C (200x11 1.7v). Now with WC my idle CPU temp is 37C and 43C under prime95 load!!! But I did gain 23Mhz on my GPU core :D

Something is amiss, no? Ideas?

Too much AS5, improperly seated WB...mounting screws arent tight enough?

Last edited:
I see your CPU idle temp went from 35-36C to 37C, but what about your CPU load temp? I assume you tightened the screws on the CPU WB in an X pattern, and got them fairly snug (compressed the springs at least some). I'm not sure how tight you go on an AMD setup.

First of all, what voltage are you running your 120's at? Second, you're adding GPU heat into the loop and since the maze4 is probably in series with the WW, you're also limiting you're flow. 3rd, check you're airflow and make sure enough cool air is coming into the case. Also, is there air in the system? I have setup similar to yours and I get a 25c load temp at that speed/voltage. And yes, do check the AS5 and make sure the WW (D-tek I assume?) is lapped to 1500grit. I haven't lapped mine yet, but it's in dire need of a lapping.

BTW, homestarrunner.com r0x!

I'm running both 120s at 12v. I havent lapped my WW yet so it's still at whatever the lads at D-tek lapped it to.

I think I'll drain the system, lap the WW and re-seat it. If the temps dont change I may try putting maze and the WW in parallel instad of series.

Also im thinking about re-aranging the setup so that the Rab comes after the Pump. Right not its Pump->CPU-GPU->Rad->Pump.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Btw, my rad is outside the case.

ye normally you want Rad right after the pump, so here is the better loop:
pump -> rad -> CPU -> GPU -> pump.

How does the fans mouted on the rad? Any ducting?

Mame, it really makes very little difference where the rad is.

Cathar figured it out, and it was something like.067C or something.

Each of the fans is mounted to a shroud (Glad containers :D) about 1.5" from the surface of the Rad. The seal is 99% airtight...trust me hehe.

Ok, I'm out to hunt me down some 1500 grit sandpaper :D

Well I'm back.

Lapped the WW and re-seated, was running 210x11 1.7V at 31C Idle 35C p95 load.

The temps were MUCH better, but I still wasnt satisfied. I made a small duct from my Rad intake fan to the outside (through the window). At 210x11, 1.7v I was riding on 10C Idle 13C p95 load. :D

Been running Prime95 for about 30-40 min now, at 220x12.5 (2756Mhz) 2.1V, been sitting at 34C. I'll leave it till morning see if it errors out...I'm starting to like my lil 1700XP more and more every day.:D

~peace,
sH@pEs

10c and 13c... sic temps but be careful of condensaition....

Hell, I should do that, in Massachusetts is below 0c outside 24/7 now and today it hit about -35c with the windchill.... can you say natures Vapochill???

Ok my hosting techniques arent worth a <insert word> so im just gona have to attach the pics.

Ok this is just a piece of packing foam that i cut out to fit into my window frame with a hole to fit my 120mm fan into. So all i have to do is lift my windo up enough to insert the foam and lower the window back down untill it forms a nice seal with the foam (so i dont end up with frost on my room walls and bed :D )

Attachments

• wc 3.jpg
    wc 3.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 78
Like Arkangyl said, do be careful of condensation. You should really put some dielectric grease in the CPU socket holes and insulate around the waterblock and CPU socket (both front and back). You run the risk of forming condensation when you CPU is cooled that much below the ambient temp in your room.

Been running Prime95 for about 30-40 min now, at 220x12.5 (2756Mhz) 2.1V, been sitting at 34C. I'll leave it till morning see if it errors out...I'm starting to like my lil 1700XP more and more every day.
:eek: :eek: 2756Mhz on water @ 34C that is killa? what bios is that?

2756Mhz on water @ 34C that is killa? what bios is that?

When I woke up (about 6 hrs later) P95 was still going strong, riding on 38c.

I'm using the latest bios (D/Led it about 3 days ago).

...im gonna really miss winter... :cry:

That is very, very impressive for a 1700+. 2.75GHz...you better get some WCPUID shots of that, and some benchmarks too!!

johan851 said:
That is very, very impressive for a 1700+. 2.75GHz...you better get some WCPUID shots of that, and some benchmarks too!!

Will do, soon as night time rolls around :D

For benches...jus use sandra? Or you want the whole deal...3DMark 01,03,Aquamark?

Last edited:
Back