• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK, I'm an idiot. Is it worth re-doing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
OK, so I just got all my water cooling parts in the mail today (go fedex!) and I set up my system out of the case. It has been bleeding for hours and hours, and all the air is finally out! I was in such a hurry, that I used tap water instead of distilled. I added antifreeze to that as well. Should I drain the whole thing and put in distilled water??? I REALLY DONT WANT TO!

-Collin-

Another vote for distilled + Anti freeze. I would flush the system with distilled, then empty again though...

(Another)

Yes.

Think how good you'll feel when it is *finally* done! With time and work, comes pride :)

I would say no. I ran out of distilled water a little while ago and was sick of buying it at the store. My system has been running for months with not problems and the same temps. Its about 90% tap and 10% antifreeze.

I am however unaware if my blocks (cpu, gpu, nb) have anything growing in them ;)

How does one get distilled water? I could try to bring a big bucket to school and take it from the chemistry lab? :D But besides that, how I am I expected to get distilled water? Buy it at an store, if so which store?

doc6886 said:
How does one get distilled water? I could try to bring a big bucket to school and take it from the chemistry lab? :D But besides that, how I am I expected to get distilled water? Buy it at an store, if so which store?

Grocery stores usually carry different types of water in gallon jugs for a $ or 2.

doc6886 said:

Any supermarket

Any grocery store sells it for about 2 bucks for a gallon or two. You even get the jug.

I just realized that it also sorta depends on the tap water quality where you live. If you live in Walkerton (LOL) then you don't want to use the tap water, but if you live somewhere where the water is supposedly pretty good then it might not even matter.

Don't take the risk though, the mineral content is still there regardless, and you're better off being safe than sorry. Would you rather take another 4 hours to do it right, or risk corroding your waterblocks, and getting bugs growing in there? Easy choice in my opinion.

If you haven't mounted the system then where is the hassle of emptying? It should only take about 15 minutes to remove most of the significant air. Just stop it in intervals and let the air collect. Those microbubbles take a lot longer than a couple of hours to disappear anyway. Good luck.

It can take a day or 2 for all of the small bubbles to bleed out. Getting as much air out as possible before starting the pump will help alot.

Do you have a res or a t? T's take forever to bleed out.

ps. how's that quiet one working for you? Is it quiet?

The quiet one is great. No leaks, and it is VERY quiet once all the air is out. With the bubbles, its noisy, but now it is fine. It is drowned out by a coolermaster 80mm case fan!

One more question: What the heck do I cap off the TLine with??? I tried using a bolt, but the water went right past that. Is there a cap I can buy for this??

-Collin-

Back