• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Springs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El<(')>Maxi

Blank Senior Member
Well as I am new to water cooling I wanted to share an experience I had last night with you.

I was noticing my temp's after going from 1.9v to 2.0v really shot up.....around 44° idle. Now this seemed far too high to me for those voltages as I have a really good RAD/airflow/pump and so on.

Well I started to look more closely at the block and decided to make some small adjustments to the blocks(Maze4) mounting pressures. A few small turns later, the temps dropped back to around 40°

Well obviously the block was not seating right. So my question is this.

Are those damn springs necessary??

Another thing I noticed was that when the MB was originally out and I was mounting the block, the step in the back to clear the socket seemed to be not cut deep enough and the Maze was slightly touching when tightened down.

Help!

I run my WB without the springs, you just have to be careful that you dont crush/chip the core.

I press the WB flat against the core and then tighten the nuts evenly, never had a problem with this.

Cheers
broken003
http://www.CustomTiRings.com

I've got a Maze3 and I dont really understand what your saying?

Are you talking about the springs in the mounting hardware? I don't see a need to get rid of them, just tighten the brass nuts some more.

And somewhere, I remember (Cathar might know) that on AMD cpu's there is a certian threshold of pressure that the core can take..I'm not sure, but I do remember something like that.

If you're not using socket clips, then the springs are nessecsary to provide even pressure across the CPU die. To do this the springs must be evenly compresed. I use a micrometer to check this.

Maximun pressure across the die is 100lbs dynamic and 30lbs static.

Last edited:
Well when I originally set up the block I did measure carefully, not with a Micrometer but a mm tool. Believe me it was done evenly.

But during my 'discovery' I noticed that the less pressure that was on the bottom two screw mounts the better the temps got. What does that tell me? That the 1/2 Tygon is pulling on the block and disturbing even mounting pressure. I have the in/out lines positioned optimally also....water weight maybe?

Whatever. I am not using the springs anymore.

I have thought about this before and though I could see a benifit in not using the springs, the chances of you crushing your core greatly increases. I think I would at least use a cpu shim if I wasnt going to use the springs.

Back