• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does water wetter smell that bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kango

This evening I went out to couple of auto shops to look for coolant. I found hyper-fluid, 40degree below, enginkool, waterkool, and finally water wetter. So I was about to get water wetter but I remembered some people in this forum said that it smelled terrible. So I came back home and ask you guys. Does it worth to risk the smell for performances?

Not only does it smell bad, it leaves an unwanted film in your system. You can search the topic some more, but the general idea is to NOT use water wetter.

Unlike 6 months ago when it was THE thing to use :)

The film is good, unless you use tygon. The pink is bad, and the stench is horrible (I was skeptic, but then I smelt the bottle) Apparently it's made in sweatshops... Go figure.

I suppose one could use Water Wetter with the system to get that nice protective film that it provides on exposed metals, then replace the tubing along with new fluid without water wetter. It would be a pain, but you would have the benefits of water wetter but clear tubing in the long run. Perhas the water wetter doesn't stick permanently though and would eventually contaminate the new tubing too.

I'm going to try this and report back.

dagamore said:
it smells nasty and tastes almost as bad as it smells (dont ask)

Have you actually tasted this thing? I cant even smell it. When I started w/c I thought that I didnt have any alternative. After a couple of weeks I tried some purple ice. Never went back :D

I got WW back when it was the most popular additive. After a while my tubes were completely covered in film (tygon), I was very annoyed. When I replaced my res (which leaked) with a t-line, and used new hose, I decided to try an expariment. About a week before I set up the system, I mixed the water wetter with water inside a big sealed container, and put a scrap piece of 4 inch tygon in it. I think that this may have cleaned some of the film stuff out, as that was about 3 weeks ago, and my tubes are completely clear. I also have a bit less water in the system after doing away with the bay-rez (never get one, they leak:mad: )

-Noah

*edit* yes, waterwetter does taste horrible (I was having problems draining a system, so I had to get a little out by mouth, the things I do for my computer, lol)

hehehe...ok after I heard so many complaints about WW I went to many auto shops and sure it was very hard to look for alternative to WW. Finally I found Nos Super Coolant. This is the product that listed in the Sticky Coolant additives. So far so good because I don't see any side effects of it. Currently load at 43 @2500mhz (Maybe I try to increase more later) Thanks for feedback on WW.

As for the WW smell, what's the problem? After all, the cooling system is a closed loop, right? So as long as there is no leaks, you won't smell anything!

As for the film thing, I have not experienced this. Granted, I use silicone tubing that are not clear, but my plexi top blocks show no signs of any film build up.

Not saying WW is the best, it's just not THAT bad.. :rolleyes:

I would have to disagree with you there.

I find the smell terrible and can still smell it weeks after being Water Wetter free. I can asure you I have had no leaks from my closed loop.

Also when I received my new cascade block I changed out all the pipes as they were horribly stained. To my horror I found that the white water block I had in before was badly clogged with gunk that can only have come from the water wetter. If you have an inpingement block like a white water or cascade do not use this stuff.

Just my 2p worths, that would be 2cents to all you yanks :)

Craig.

I really hate to see people knocking the stuff too. I think its great as far as I'm concerned.

Out of all the years that I've been water cooling, I've always used water wetter. It smells ? well yes it smells, and if you think it smells bad in the bottle, just wait a few months and change your water for the hell of it. I nearly passed out my first time because of poor ventilation.

Tastes bad ? probably.. The first time I worked with it I recieved chemical burns because "I didn't need no stinkin gloves", I can't imagine what it would be like to swallow the crap.

The only time I have truly experienced sediment/building in the system, has been when reusing parts that probably weren't clean enough. Based on what I've seen over the years, and unless I see some sort of in-depth article proving otherwise, I won't subscribe to the notion that the WW itself is directly responsible for any type of deposits in the system (barring the film thing).

I have relatively clear tubing and I'm just using off the cuff tubing from Ace hardware, and one or two pieces of Clearflex60 The clearflex still appears to be clean and the Ace tubing is a tad stained pink. Thats about as dirty as the tubing is. Except for the tubing attached to my T-line which is opened and closed to add water as needed. That is unprotected, and understandably more vulnerable.

THere is no doubt WW can react with stuff in your system. But it still does its job for just under 8$ a bottle (locally). I think a lot of it has to do with getting the right mixture, and having a relatively "clean" system put together.

I personally don't care much if my tubing gets stained these days, as I am finally preparing to build that box thingy I always wanted to (think "Prometia", but basically housing water cooling euip) so no one is gonna see my tubing anyway.

Back