• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can we reach a consensus on the coolant to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fafnir

can we reach a consensus on the coolant to use?

either with the use of polls/votes or otherwise just a thread on why one coolant is better than another?

for example: so we all know that say, if distilled water and antifreeze is the way to go?

or say if zerex actually turns cloudy or milky after a while?

and also it'd be helpful if everyone included PICTURES of the product bottles and where they found them, as that would help us all quite a bit

thanks for the time

and i'll go first:

distilled water with two cups of red toyota antifreeze, and so far for the last year its been fine, temps have not changed

this is on a koolance exos system

SAme here but with Distilled + 10% BMW antifreeze.

No temp difference b/w distilled + water wetter and it doesn't stain tubing!

Antifreeze seems to be a very popular choice, but I don't think it's the best for cooling. White Water is the best coolant, barring the pink colour, and gobs coming off of Tygon. With a Koolance Exos, I doubt it would really matter that much :rolleyes: Heehee. Well, with such a small scale cooling system, I questioning whether its worth it.

a 10% - 20% concentration of coolant is insignificiant to decreasing cooling proformance, IMO.
I used to have a 50/50 mix, and i noticed a nice 2c difference after removing some and deluting with water.

been running the same sinkwater/zerex antifreeze for about a 1 1/2 now, no problems :)
yes sink water, too lazy to get distilled water
i added water conditioner (fish stuff) to nutrilize the clorine and break down metals. works great :)

Next time around I'm going to be using about 15%+ of Methanol, 10% Dex-Cool antifreeze, and the rest distilled.

I found the sticky above entitled "coolant additives.(the master list) to be very helpful. The sticky features testimonials and links to pertenant information including where to buy.

Peace

Last edited:
Back