• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOBO wont start up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mower

Registered
Hey guys....

Built up a new pc with old stuff...now when I hit the power switch on the case the cpu fan moves around a few seconds, stops and nothing else happens, no POST, nothin'. The MOBO power light is on steady htough. ATX switching power supply is good (checked it). Cables all connected ok etc. Jumpers seems fine (never changed them anyways).

You guys think the MOBO is fried?

A heatsink thats not seated properly can cause this, due to overheat protection kicking on and shutting the mobo down immediatly.

How bout some more details to, like mobo, processor.............

Yeah, if it turns off right after you turn it on, the heatsink is probably not on properly..

ASUS A7M266, Athlon 1200. It comes with a mondo heatsink and it is a liitle loose, as I understand AMD CPU heatsinks they have issues with not being attached firmly enough and may wobble loose and then off over time. That might be it actually. Thanx...I'll get back to ya'll.

Are you using a low RPM fan on your heatsink? My abit KT7A would shutdown after a few seconds after I swapped to an ultra quiet low RPM fan. There was a fan protection thing in the bios that was on, and the 2500rpm fan wasn't even fast enough to register on the sensor. I had to attach an old faster moving fan to the CPU fan header temporarily in order to turn the protection off in bios. (It also would beep at me, which may be coming through your onboard sound if this board has one, rather than the PC speaker.)

Damned if I know how the CPU would have died...I didnt do much with the MOBO after swapping it out and it looks secure enough. Power supply is good and set to 115v. The MOBO/CPU worked fine just before I swapped it out. All I can think of is that I didnt wear an anti-static strap when I threw it together and ESD reared its ugly head.

Mower said:
Dead NIC caused it. Go figure. Frickin computers. heh.:D

I'm curious how did u figure the NIC was the cause of it when it wouldn't POST? Do you have an onboard NIC or NIC card? Just want to know...

huh---i woulda said dead PSU... cuz...that's what mine did when the PSU *exploded*... the fans spun a little---then nothing

It was a NIC card, of which I have several kicking around and dont always throw away suspicious ones like this one. Basic A+ says remove all the peripherals until it POSTs, which I should have done in the first place...lazy mind at times ya know.

Back