• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling fan question?Need expertise!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I built a water cooler out of and old computer case.I have a vantec stealth(120mm) on the back, to pull the air through the heater core. Heres the question. Can I hook this 12volt fan to the cpu fan pin on motherboard,since it is free? And does this speed up and slow fan down when cpu needs more cooling?. I have a IC7 board. Thanks:(

Oooh... Be carefull. See if you can find the rated output for the motherboard CPU fan connector (it'll be somewhere in the manual), then compare that against the fans specs (on the packaging, or the fan itself). If the fan draws less power than the MOBO can provide, you're golden.

Power consumption

The fan specs Specifications: 120x120x25mm, 53 CFM @ 1500 RPM, 28 dBA, .96w .08 Amp, 12v DC, 3 pin connector.

My board is Abit IC7

Flip through your manual that came with the IC7. I attempted to download one, but it was going to take bloody ages. Anyways, it will be stated somewhere in the manual how many watts the CPU fan header can handle. If it can handle more than .96W, go for it.

some motherboards won't overclock as well if you draw power from the cpu fan header. I noticed that with my Epox 8rda+, as soon as i plug in a regular 80mm fan in there, it would become unstable even at a low overclock.

Back