• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who has experience WC with a Coolermaster case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathBOB

Im thinking about building a modest watercooling setup sometime soon, and i want to know if any of you guys have experience with watercooling and coolermaster cases. I have the WaveMaster, and i just cant make myself cut it up (its so beautiful...). It doesnt look like it will hold some of the heatercores you guys like. Anyone have any ideas around this? I can probably fit an 80mm radiator, but is it worth it? Will it do enough?

I have a Cooler Master ATC-220C-VX1 (80mm fans only). I know exactly how you feel. I'm trying to put together a WC solution, I'll let you know how it goes.

Vincent, I'm thinking about buying the H20-8501 also, since that's pretty much all that will fit in my case. Let me know how it works, ie how the 80mm rad works and if you managed to get enough air through it. I'm worried that I'll have to sacrafice quiet to get enough airflow and if an 80mm rad is worth it. Thanks!

I've got the same NB heatsink, works well huh? =)

What fans are you using to push/pull air through your rad? Are they loud? You said you're getting 20C temps, your room must be freezing cold! What kind of CFM do you think you're getting through the rad? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm having airflow problems with my ATC-220C since there's only 1 80mm intake and 1 80mm exhaust.

I took a picture, you can see what I mean. Exhaust up top, intake at the left.

L1000126 - 28.jpg

Last edited:
jason to tell the truth the zalman is not sufficeint i'll be ripping it off soon. before i had a sp-94 with tornado so the blwo off air offf the tornado was sufficient. but now with water it gets way hot...

the fan is just the one that it came with.
my computer is pretty damn quiet. teh cfm shouldn't be too high its quiet.

i added u to icq....

Actually, you'll have better luck finding me on AIM. Since my friends betrayed me and stopped using ICQ, I haven't been online since 1999!

Do you think I'll see results if I shove the H20-8501 in my case? I don't want to waste money, and like deathBOB, I love my case and I don't want to cut it up or get different one.

I'm going to use a chipset wb when I get my wc setup. I'm using Zalman FM-1 casefans (20db in silent mode) about 20CFM each. Will doubling up fans on a rad help push more air through?

what do u mean by doubling up? if u want the rad cooler ur best bet is to put a shroud on it.
what are ur current temps?
if u put a wb on the northbridge u may need another rad.

What I meant by doubling up was putting two fans on either or both sides of the rad instead of just one. By the way, where can I get some good shrouds? I've been looking around, can't find any. Got a website I can look at?

With the not-so-good Zalman stuff I'm using, I get about 35 idle and about 50 load. But then again, I'm running the 230FSB (3.68GHz) so I'm kind of at the limit for this setup.

I'm not sure I have room for another rad. If I'm going to add nother rad I'll have to add it up top at the exhaust vent, and that's going to be really weird. Any suggestions?

ur northbridge doens't need a wb. u can get the mcx-159 for it which is the same price of a water block with less work ad just as efficient!

Hmm, interesting. I was also thinking about swapping the Swiftech 80mm for the Black Ice Mico. The logic being that it could be a better performer and maybe I wouldn't need a second rad with a chipset wb? How does this sound?

deathBOB, I hope this is providing you with some info! It seems like we're both bound to the Swiftech H20-8501 setup.

FIZZ, did you put any additional hole in it, I dont think I want to make bigger holes... Besides, The panels are pretty damn think, i dont think i can bit them cleanly..

jason it just isn't worth it for the wb. i've went through it already =)

the wb and the mcx is the same price.but the watblock u need the extra tubing and extra work. and depending how hot ur orthbridge and cpu get. the radiator may not be able to handle it. put know that a northbridge and cpu are generally pretty close you may have to put springs into you tubing to get the sharp angle to reach from cpu to wb. Thus decreasing flow.

plus so many tubes doesn't look very nice.

I see your point... I would really like to limit the number of fans that I have in my case though, and I'm especially trying to avoid a 5000+ RPM tiny fan that'll be buzzing away. You said the Zalman passive heatsink isn't working too well huh?

Do you think I'm definitely going to have to go for active cooling in order to keep the nb cool enough for stable oc'ing? Sorry for all the quetsions, maybe we should chat instead. I feel bad about cluttering up this thread...!

deathBOB said:
FIZZ, did you put any additional hole in it, I dont think I want to make bigger holes... Besides, The panels are pretty damn think, i dont think i can bit them cleanly..

No I did not. I am using the existing 90 by 160mm intake in the front. My core is located behind it. Of course, to get to this setup I had to adjust some things on the inside.
The dual 80mm intake fans on the front are gone, as are their support point in the chassis. The lower 4 3.5" bays are sawed out as well, up to the point where the lower external 3.5" bay has a folded lip. Note that you'll have to take out the bottom of the case if you want to do this, which involves drilling out some 8 rivets.
Another handy thing with this case: you can run the power cord for the pump out of the back using the small gap in the lower bottom corner near the PCI slots. Normally the side panel will cover this, but you can saw off a small piece that folds over this gap without much effort nor destroyed looks.

The bottom line is that with some effort you can put a full-fledged heatercore with 38mm depth fan and shroud, a big pump, a T-line and a 3-barb block with all 1/2" tubing in there. In my opinion, the end result of great cooling in a stylish case is worth the trouble.

FIZZ3 said:

No I did not. I am using the existing 90 by 160mm intake in the front. My core is located behind it. Of course, to get to this setup I had to adjust some things on the inside.
The dual 80mm intake fans on the front are gone, as are their support point in the chassis. The lower 4 3.5" bays are sawed out as well, up to the point where the lower external 3.5" bay has a folded lip. Note that you'll have to take out the bottom of the case if you want to do this, which involves drilling out some 8 rivets.
Another handy thing with this case: you can run the power cord for the pump out of the back using the small gap in the lower bottom corner near the PCI slots. Normally the side panel will cover this, but you can saw off a small piece that folds over this gap without much effort nor destroyed looks.

The bottom line is that with some effort you can put a full-fledged heatercore with 38mm depth fan and shroud, a big pump, a T-line and a 3-barb block with all 1/2" tubing in there. In my opinion, the end result of great cooling in a stylish case is worth the trouble.

got pics?

Back