• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

using a TEC-cooled res

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smirabi

ok, so my idea is to get this thing http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...-1&productId=200861&mediaCode=ZX&appId=385969 and try to mod it into a res that will fit in my next case (lian li pc70).

so lets say i were able to do this, would there be enough decrease in water temps (even keeping a rad/fan in the loop) to justify the cost/effort, or is this idea not such a good one? and if you want, you can explain too.

thanks in advance.

I believe this has been discussed before. One thing I'm curious about - how would you connect the TEC to the res? You'd have to cut out a hole and mount a copper plate in there or something.

Also, I believe that you get much better gains by putting the TEC on the CPU instead of trying to cool that entire body of water with one TEC.

that probably won't be able to handle your cpu
it only uses 3 amps, so its a low watt peltier.
if you had a radiator and fan, say before the tec res when connected, then it will cool the water before going to the cpu, but i wouldn't expect a big drop in temp. possibly not even wory 80 bucks :-/

Iv tried it before and speaking for experience its not worth the $. Sure if i kept it on cooling the water all night it would get me temps of like 70ºF once i started up my computer then after 2hrs or so id be getting temps of 58ºC because it just couldnt keep up w/ cooling the water.

I'd suggest trying your hand with a chiller based on a window AC unit. You can pick AC's up for about 70 bucks at such places as Walmart and the Home Depot, and properly modded, you could get temps that rival or top Vapochills. That would be well worth it, but a peltier chiller would be completely useless.

No, I've seen a peltier chiller do some GREAT things. 2C idle, 7C load, I believe. Of course, it's 550W of pelt, and not just thirty-some watts.

Back