• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I made the switch, now a few questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goateh

Well, as the topic said, I now have an AMD. Its not the fact that I don't like intel anymore (In many aspects im still an intel fanboy), but I just thought since everyone is raving about the 2500+ and the NF7-S I would try one :)

Well, it have it at 3200+ using pc2700 ram, its stable and it works fine. I am, however, using a stock aluminium heatsink and fan (running at 46c idle). I was just wondering about the heat reporting issues with the Abit boards for AMD (I've never paid attention, all i know is that nf7-s is a must have) are they as bad as the IC7 for intel ?
Or has it been fixed in the new bios revisions ?
Any other problems people have been noticing with the board?

and yeah, I know I need more ram... i'll get that after a new heatsink and fan :p

Im not so sure about the in-socket but i know the case temp is dead on.

There is only 2 problems on the NF7-S...one is the 10x and 10.5x multipliers which you wont have to worry about on a locked 2500. Over around 220fsb the board begins to act weird. But on other multipliers on some board 230+ is achievable like on my board. A bios fix is what is needed for this.

The other problem is the voltage fluctuation (vcore). This can be HELPED not solved with heatsinks on the mosfets to the left of the cpu socket.

hrmm, alright cool as. I don't plan on putting heatsinks on the fets because im just too lazy, and i don't really need them.. :)

But I guess the CPU temps were pretty accurate as well, and unfortunately I don't have an unlocked cpu :(

Well the socket temp has gone up and down depending on what version BIOS you had at the time. I would say its close, maybe a little low but 46 idle is way too high for me. My CPUs never go above 48 load but thats just me. Get yourself a good cooler and you will be fine though. Welcome to AMD btw. :)

Yeah well, unfortunately I didn't get the copper based, or plated stock coolers. I just got the aluminium one :(

And yeah, thanx for the welcome :D

Back