• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What temp do I trust

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoocat

Registered
I recently built the system showing in my signature. When first boot it up it said my CPU was 80C and now it is showing 96C after some stress testing. Sandra shows my CPU temp is 32C and my power supply at 80C!? Something doesn't seem right. I used some basic silicone based thermal grease. I have a thermaltake valcano 7+

I also can't get this thing to pass the multimedia stress test in Sandra when i up the fsb to 200. :(

What are you using to read the temps? If your using MBM, it doesn't support this board fully so you may be getting wrong temps from it. I would use Easy tune to monitor temps but DON'T use it to change any settings! It's a crappy utility that no one ever seems to have any luck with.

That being said you should reseat your heatsink because those temps do seem way tooo high! Do yourself a favour and go and purchase some good thermal grease such as Arctic Silver.

I had almost the same set up as you not long ago (same cpu, heatsink and board) and I hit 210 fairly easily.

Thanks for the welcome! I actually figured it out. The casing on my heatsink fan interfered with the clip movement. The heatsink wasn't making good contact and it was overheating. Got everything straightened out though. and now it's overclocked to a 3200 with no problems whatsoever.

Well after all was said and done my powersupply temps went down significantly. It's running at about 60 according to Sandra. This computer is damn stable. I'm in awe of the improvement over my 1.2ghz athlon with 100mhz FSB :)

Oh by the way, I did finally get my arctic silver in the mail. I ordered everything from NewEgg. Everything came from California except the arctic silver which came from NJ. I was too impatient to wait ;)

I recently got this board and noticed the same but, I think ive found the answer to why the high temps. My default cpu voltage is 1.72 :eek: and I cant lower it at all. Does anyone know how to lower the voltage?

Try a different BIOS, think the earlier ones were OK. Other possibility could be to alter the L11 bridges on the CPU to give a lower default voltage.
Hood

That mobo has a habit of running hot.

I can't remember the forum threads offhand, but there are a few over at amddb.com

Basically, in comparison to a 7N400-L your mobo is going to run 5-10deg hotter. Don't ask me why, they both use on chip temperature sensors, and basically have the same hardware.

I'm not sure if it's a BIOS issue, as hood suggested, but basically you're going to have to try and cool that puppy as best as possible.

amdmb forums has a thread on this, the pro 2 is made with 4 layers (not 6 like the original pro, which I have), so they added more juice to get it to work, but as far as I know there's no way to mod the voltage on a pro 2... Goodluck...

Oh and temps on this board (and original Pro) are hard to monitor, but if it's stable then you're good...

That's interesting. I remember reading the heated debate but the last time I checked in nobody could figure out what was wrong.

I wonder if all the pro motherboards use the same pcb style, because my old 7VRXP ran pretty hot too. (Didn't test it as thoroughly though)

If you're going to overclock I still recommend getting a non-pro board, since you should run your RAID on a separate card and even though he extra firewire and SATA ports are nice, those can be easily had for $30 as separate cards if you need them.

Just my 2c

Back