• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best bio for nf7-s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gusdagoos

I just got my computer running together and wanted to know which bios is the best...unless the newest one is......and where can i find out how to install it?

easiest way to upgrade the bios on your nf7-s is to download flashmenu from abits downloads. It's a windows flashing utility, that can do it all for you :D. I use bios 20. i think that's what most are using now. however the original 1.0 bios is good for some things, but it has some problems being the first bios release for your board. If you are more concerned with stability than massive overclock, go with bios 20.

good luck!

J.

IMO the best for overclocking are the 10's the best for everyday use is any of them above 20's.

that depends on your RAM. i've got BH-5, and i've got my FSB stable at 220-221. and i htink i'm using 20, it came wiht my board and i've yet to update/downdate/change it. i read bios 10 will get the best FSB, and there was a bios 10 with sata compliance lying around somewhere...

Yes you need 10 for 220 fsb with 10x or 10.5x also you have to flash thru windows back to 10 there is no otherway floppy want flash back from 18's I think and up.

but there is the bugs in the bios in those version less than 14 version the bugs is the abit bord refuse to post and the bios is corrupt

Constantinos said:
Right now i have bios 11, it came stock with my motherboard. Could i still use the windows flash utility to use bios 10? Also should i use the modded bios 10 or not?

I have tried 10b2, 10b4, and as always the 10's but keep inmind if you use the modded one it will viod your warrnty if you have to send the board back if I recall correctly.

From 11 to 10's you can use the floppy style or thru windows.

Last edited:
Im using 20 right now. Its pretty good.

I did have the best results with 10.

I can also say that 14 is the worst, and has weird USB issues.

I think my warranty is already voided since i added new heatsinks to NB, SB and mosfets using epoxy so its pretty permanent.

Also can i use the windows utility to flash to modded bios10 if i am currently on 11? Also will it help with my USB issues since my USB keyboard dosnt work now.

yes, you can use the windows flash utility for ANYTHING (11 to 10, 20 to 10, etc.). you can only use the floppy way (AWDFLASH) from when going from 14 and below to 10, i think. ie, after flashing 14, you can no longer use the floppy way to flash to anything lower.

for your usb problems, is it only that your usb keyboard doesn't work before you log in to windows? ie. does it work in windows, but just not before that? if so, you probably have the USB settings in the bios set to "WINDOWS". you need to set it to BIOS. i'm not exactly sure where in the bios this was, but if you look around, you'll see it. this makes it so that the bios controls your USB ports, and so, works even before windows has booted.

actually its "OS" or "BIOS". i saw it today too, and set it to "BIOS", as it was set to "OS" as stock. cant remember where it was but just look around.

I had it set to BIOS and it wouldnt work anywere but in another computer with an Asus A7S333 mobo it works fine. Anyway, would u reccomend 10, modded or unmodded or the newer 20 for overclocking and stability.

if you're not using sata, i would go with one of tictac's modded d10 bioses. these give you the 10/10.5 multiplier use with cpu interface enabled and high fsb, combined with different fsb/northbridge timings of many different bioses. (many people have problems with the original d10, in that the timings are too tight, ie. ram that could do xxx speed at tight timings with newer bioses can no longer maintain stability at the same speed/timings with d10). if you look at the abit-usa forums, you can see the advantages and combinations of each of these modded bioses. however, i believe there is some risk of bios corruption with these d10 bioses, as the bios corruption issue wasn't fixed until later bioses. (ie. you won't get the red box saying not to turn off your computer or whatnot while the bios is "saving").

if you're not really going to push it anyway, you might as well go "safe" with the newest d22. i use raid-0 in sata, so i don't use any of the d10's, but rather, a d20 modded with 4.2.27 sata bios (by equito from abit-usa forums). the fsb overclocking is good enough for me, as i can run 217x11 (which i do normally) or 233x9.5. i've run benches in windows at 242x9.5, though it's by no means stable. basically, you don't lose *that much* with the newer bioses. d10's are really for those who want to really push it.

Well i have 1 gb mushkin pc3500 lvl 2 so i am aiming for FSB of 220+. If i am flashing the BIOS with the windows utility why would i get the red box? I thought that red box only came up with floppy flash? Also were could i find one of these modded d10 bioses?

*note: i dont use SATA

Back