• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Problem with NF7-S/2500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deception``

I just put together a new rig this week. Here are some general specs: Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+, Thermalright Sp-97 w/ 92mm Vantec, Antec TC 550W, Mushkin Black Level II PC 3500 (2x256), Radeon 9800 Pro; all in the Coolermaster ATC 201B SXT case. I immediately went straight into overclocking. My problem is that I'm having trouble getting into windows with an fsb over 195. I can get 193 FSB on 1.675 Vcore, and I know that this should not be my cap. Hell, I even tried to get 200 fsb @ 1.85 Vcore 2.9 Vdimm and 1.7 Chipset, just for the sake of argument. When I reboot, my screen either goes black or I get some wierd BIOS checksum error. I should add that I am not new to computers nor overclocking; however, this is the first AMD rig I've built in a while (just wanted to try something different). I dont think its the CPU or the ram (and definitely not the HSF), so my suspicions came to the NF7-S. This is the first time I've messed with it since i built it, meaning that I havent had time to try any BIOS flashes or anything. I just thought the 2500+ should be able to do 2.2GHz at least with a reasonable amount of Vcore. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciate as far as my dilemma. I'm not looking for a spectacular o/c but at least somewhere between 2.2-2.3. Also, plz let me know if I'm being too impatient with my new system or if my suspicisions are with merit.

Well there are some good modded bios out there that will allow a better overclock. You should be able to get 200 x 11 without any problems, have you tried relaxing your mem timings? I'm running 11-3-3-2.5, people have had success with relaxing the timings. Maybe you should burn the system in with Prime95 or CPUidle before you go too far on the OC.

Just my 2 bits

Good luck!:)

My mem timings are usually 2-2-2-5, but then again this memory is rated at pc3500 for those timings so that's a non-issue. I just hope that the problem is something im overlooking and nothing needing ann RMA. Any good bioses to suggest? Also, I thought burning in was just a myth? Doesnt it consist of running your cpu at full load or a really high vcore for a bit? I know that sounds newbish but Ive never really needed to burn-in, especially on my P4 rigs.

Back