• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help(first watercool setup)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woody29

Hi

I've just installed my first water setup.
I'm using RBX socket hold down version. Hydor L30 pump, 1/2 ID around, Black Ice pro II with two 120mm fans (normal type) on the underside pushing air through rad.
my rad is mounted on top off the case with the fans underneath.
no air in the system running inline T. The case is completely open too.

Pump, Rad, Cpu, T, Pump.

on idle 42c and load 49c at default settings 1.65 vcore. To me this seems high, i was thinking is it the fans? the rad, or RBX not seating properly ( which i've reseated several times)
Not sure where to go from here right now....???

Also with my previous setup with the slk900u i was getting low 30C idle 39 load @ 1.65 vcore.

Yeah, that doesn't sound quite right to me. What impingement nozzle are you using on the RBX? That could have some impact. Also make sure it's oriented correctly.

What thermal paste are you using? It probably wouldn't make much difference, but it's worth knowing.

There's also always the stock response - proper seating. It looks like you've reseated a few times, but you might want to check to see if hoses are pulling on the block in an uneven way. If the tubes are a little too short or at a weird angle it could pull the block away from the die.

Since the radiator is at the top, have you tried turning the setup upside-down to make sure there's no air hiding up in there?

[Off Topic] One last personal question - is that Windond BH-5? I had trouble with my BH-5 and BIOS D10. [/Off Topic]

Where are you getting the temps from?

Because with socket probs, 40C air is not the same as 40C water, as with water, you have no air blowing over the probs.

What TIM are you using?

Try GENTLY twisting the block to squish out excess TIM.

Johan.....not sure what you mean by impingment nozzle all i know is there are 3 chrome barbs. using as3. system completely air free. not sure if my ram is BH-5 but it runs fine up to 235fsb

dohcrazy...i get the temps from hardware Dr. and from the bios too. i just switch to bios D21 know it reads 36c but this is still stock voltage. whats TIM?

johan....just turn the case upside down there was still some air inside.......hope this is the only problem thanks

the impingment nozzle is a peice of lexan that directs the inlet of the block over the fins on the base , there are 5 diff combos u can do if you bought the xtra plates.

Most likely it's air in the rad. Also, check the socket hold down and make sure the socket is holding the tabs good and tight. If the block is loose does the socket hold down grasp them tight? The side clips should be snug up against the socket if it is. If not, take the socket hold down and take it apart. Turn the top plate over and re-attach the side clips. Then it will grasp the tabs correctly. I had this problem with mine and doing that took care of everything for me.

For some reason, sometimes they put together the socket hold down wrong.

what a pain in the neck, i think there's still some air in the rad even after many times of upside down to the left to the right you name it i turned it. well i also looked at the water block it does not seem to be applying enough pressure as the a3 does not seem well spread on the core, i'm going to check the socket clamp once i've got all the air out off the system.
anyone know any good ideas to get air out from T-line system...?

Turn the pump off right when you see the air come through, let the air come up through the t-line. Then keep turning the pump off and on like that till it's gone. It's a pain but works. Take that socket hold down apart and turn the top plate over and re-attach the side clips. Test it first to see if it grabs the socket tabs snug. The side clips should be right up against the socket when its on.

That's a poor performing radiator. That might have something to do with it, but I doubt it will make THAT much of a difference.

That's a poor performing radiator. That might have something to do with it, but I doubt it will make THAT much of a difference.

I beg to differ. Have you used a BIX series rad?

The BIX series is much bashed here, mostly due to it's small size, and stupid high price. I have two of em' that I got used, and another used one coming in the mail, and I love them because of the extremely convenient size, and the good perfomance I have observed when using mine (for their size, of course one of them won't stand up to a big arse Chevvy). The BIX2 should do a *more* than adeqaute job of cooling Woody29's one waterblock circuit.

Using one (single 120mm) BIX radiator I had *great* results with my old system (Hydor L30, Swiftech MCW 5000).

Woody29 - What kind of fans do you have on your radiator? Weak fans could explain your results. You may also want to see how warm the air up top of your case is, as your radiator fans are taking air from the top of the case, where heat can collect. Seeing as how you're running open case, it shouldn't happen, but might be worth checking anyways. Good luck! :)

Posted by johan851
There's also always the stock response...

LOL! Johan man, you know you've been hanging around these forums a long time when... ;) :p :)

felinusz said:

I beg to differ. Have you used a BIX series rad?

The BIX series is much bashed here, mostly due to it's small size, and stupid high price. I have two of em' that I got used, and another used one coming in the mail, and I love them because of the extremely convenient size, and the good perfomance I have observed when using mine (for their size, of course one of them won't stand up to a big arse Chevvy). The BIX2 should do a *more* than adeqaute job of cooling Woody29's one waterblock circuit.

Using one (single 120mm) BIX radiator I had *great* results with my old system (Hydor L30, Swiftech MCW 5000).

Woody29 - What kind of fans do you have on your radiator? Weak fans could explain your results. You may also want to see how warm the air up top of your case is, as your radiator fans are taking air from the top of the case, where heat can collect. Seeing as how you're running open case, it shouldn't happen, but might be worth checking anyways. Good luck! :)

LOL! Johan man, you know you've been hanging around these forums a long time when... ;) :p :)

felinusz, he doesn't have a BIX2, he has a Black Ice Pro II which hardware labs themselves rate as inferior to a BIX, let alone a BIX2...

Felinusz....I'm using 2 cheap 120mm fans they are around 95 cfm each.

well I've finally got all the air out now and also took the socket clamp out and turn one off the plates on the side round as it was out off line with the otherside and my temps now idle 35c and load 40c at 1725vcore. I'm a little disappointed as i was hoping to get better results, maybe when the as3 settle it may get a little better.

SO you guys think a heater would be much better than this black ice pro II....? meaning my temps would drop.

pauldenton said:

felinusz, he doesn't have a BIX2, he has a Black Ice Pro II which hardware labs themselves rate as inferior to a BIX, let alone a BIX2...

My bad! (Man, I should read more carefully!!) :)

That radiator probably explains your temperatures!

Several inexpensive automotive replacements can be gotten fairly easily, check out your local junkyard, and some auto shops :)

Damned right, felinusz! A heater core would help somewhat, but it sounds like there is yet another problem. There might not be, though.

35C idle and 40C load at 1.725V :eek: and your not happy??..

Water cooling will ONLY be as good as relivant to your ambient temp.. I saw you said you had your fans pushing air through the radiator.. that's probably a lesser way to get more air touching the surface area on the RAD.

I would shroud it and have the fans PULLING the air through the radiator. This should cause better flow through it and a little more heat transfer.

at that voltage though i wouldn't bee too disapointed with those temps.. that's pretty good...

The EXTREME overclockers probably wont ever see below 30C with a maxed out system by cooling with conventional water cooling.. unless you have some kinda of active cooler for the water it's only gonna REMOVE heat.. not make it cold.

hey, i guess i set my hopes abit high. well now i've got all the air out and now at 1.85 vcore 38 idle 45 load same settings as in the sig, going to get me a heater core this weekend if possible.

right now i'm only 2 degree's better than the slk900 i had on, so thats why i was in a way expecting more from it. hope the heater core will be better alot ( another 2c ) :)

Back