• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand New to WaterCooling NEED HELP :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hpirs4n

Alright, well i have some experience with computers but have never attempted any kind of overclocking except graphics cards. I wanted to start a watercooled project a need advice on where to start. My budget would be around $1500. I already have a full tower case with 400watt power supply, cd drive, and monitor. I want to go with an AMD chip as i have heard they are easiest to overclock. My main question is which chip will be able to be overclocked the under a water cooled system. I would think it would be the latest chip out, but i don't really want to spend all the money on a FX-51. So i pretty much want the best performing chip after it has been overclocked. I want to be able to cool my graphics card too so what graphics card would be the best to overclock? Next i am stuck on where to go to find all the parts i would need for a water cooled system. I don't really know all the components that i need and when i research them i kind of get confused :( If someone could tell me the parts that i would need in order to get the best performance and cooling given my budget it would truly help. I also don't know which motherboard would be best to use. I am pretty much asking for a complete setup of a water cooled system that would give me the BEST performance for $1500. All help is appreciated.

whoa.. usually 150, sometimes up to 300 but 1500..
dude..
well..
www.dtekcustoms.com
get the flowmaster kit, upgrade everything to the max, you got yourself a highend cooling kit. anything better, you'll need to do some tweaking with fans, lapping, and pumps..
if you want to go all out, theres phase change
check out the extreme cooling board

Hmm, i think i didn't make myself clear. $1500 is for the whole project. Chip, memory, watercooling supplies, etc...

OOOOO
sorry about that, heh
well then, dtek will be right for you :)
the new 3400+ just came out on newegg, thats like 404
a gig of ram (geil golden dragon 512x2 pc3500) thats 224
radeon 9800 pro thats 335
asus kv8 deluxe 137
two special edition 80gb WD drives $150
and the dtek kit w/ whitewater, ehiem 1250, and video block 262

comes out to 1512 for a GODLIKE machine even at stock

I'd go for a more overclockable p4 like the 2.Xc for overclocking. What have the 3400's been hitting?

3400 has been wiping the floor with all cpus within its price range
3400 also has a meg of cache, u can't compare it to the p4 by mhz with 512kb cache

I'm not comparing performance, just overclockability with a high end watercooling system ;). I wouldn't spent 200$+ for an overclock any decent hsf could do. Anyway, lets get this thread back on track :p

I have read most of the stickies but am just confused about things. I learn better by getting the components first and handling them. It makes it easier when i read about them after i have looked at them. I wanted to try to get an AMD becuase i already have a 3.2 p4 I don't want to overclock this so i want to start a new project. Will i get a better speed from overclocking the 3400 than any other chip? (excluding FX51) What can i expect from a cooled 9800 pro. I have a 9800xt, will i get better performance out of the pro?

You'll obvious get better speed/performance out of the best hardware out there. Overclocking will even put it up a notch. When speaking in overclocking terms you're going to have to browse around at other user's results to know what to expect out of your hardware. It's not an exact science and does require a bit of luck to push those mhzs. Most likely the topic at hand has already been discussed. You just need to scour the forums with the search button a bit ;)

Thanks for the replies! Will the overclocked 9800pro do better than the stock xt? Are there any other extras i can get that will help the cooling system perform better?

It all depends on how high you overclock the 9800pro. The XT is basically the same card but with higher clock rates and a couple features(?).

Extras? You really need to read up more :p. You can always tweak your cooling but I don't want to cause any confusion. Learn the basics of watercooling first and it'll all come together.

So with the basic kit (dtek kit w/ whitewater, ehiem 1250, and video block 262) i will be able to tweak the cooling? Do you think this would be good for me to learn with and easily upgrade as i became more comfortable with the process?

Staying within the realm of watercooling the only tweaking you can do is basically better components. You should be fine with the dtek kit. It has high end components and should give you high end performance.

Is the Geil Golden Dragon 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3500 really the best ram i should get? If i have to spend more money to make it all worth while i will.

It all depends on what is worthwhile to you. A couple more mhz? benchmarks? fps? bragging rights? Personally, I'm happy with a snappy rig & my money's worth. The rest are mere numbers. Whatever makes you happy & satisfied ;)

Back