• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper block and aluminium rad? Possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craneage2001

Is there any way to run a copper block using a aluminium radiator? I was out at the scrapyard today and found a beautiful HC from a completely totalled ~1997 Pontiac Gran Prix...it was laying in the back seat after someone gutted out the engine compartment and they gave it to me for a total of $0. It's about 5x8" and only around 1" thick. However, it's aluminium and I'm looking into a copper block. Is there any way to run a copper block with an aluminium radiator? Extra antifreeze (I know it hurts thermal capacity)? Anyone actually have first hand knowledge on this and not just 'I was told not to'?

i'd go for 30% antifreeze/coolant, u should be fine.
my friend has an aluminum block and copper radiator running for a year now and its fine, but he uses 50/50mix straight from the zerex bottle. As for hurting thermal capacity, its all small numbers.. not a big impact on cooling preformance.

The rad is all aluminum, including the housing, tubing, end caps, etc...I looked it up at napaonline.com and it's $104 heatercore.:eek: Hate to have to change that one!

Last edited:
Back