• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Onboard sound issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

domstar

im using the onboard sound on my nf7 rev 2.0. (go on laugh your hearts out). Recently started having problmes with it though, i now have distortion soudns and music. This is since i have uppwed my fsb. Anyone got any ideas? Also my mouse seem kinda "sticky" when using it on the desktop. Could this be a cooling issue?
DoM

Since you are using the onboard sound, the sound quality will deteriorate with overclocking. This is because the South Bridge, which controls the NF7's onboard sound, gets much to hot. To rectify this problem, you will need to cool the SB. Use something like an old cut-up heatsink or one of the Zalman passive heatsinks. That should solve your sound problem.

As for the mouse problem, maybe it needs a cleaning. If it's an optical, maybe it's not getting a good read, so you might want to try a different mousing surface.

You also might want to try remix drivers for your sound. I was having sound issues and I tried cooling the SB but it didn't help any. I installed the remix drivers and haven't had a problem since.

is the sound degredation permanent? my sound is also poopy, i use the onboard. (i heard it was really good, but i've yet to get good results...course, i've been OCing the poop out of this board since before i installed an OS...

Sound degredation shouldn't be permanent...I can think of no reason that it would be, short of physical damage to the board.

my mouse also seems sticky too.....i wonder what it can be...mine is optical and hooks up through a usb...if anyone knows let me know

If you're using Xp, try the XP mouse fix reg file (Sorry don't have a link).

My board is currently @ 215FSB and I am not getting any distortion on my sound at all (using oboard soundstorm), but the south bridge is bloody hot i'll give ya that :(

Im going to try putting a cooler on the southbridge as when i dropped the voltage on the chipset i lost the sticking of the mouse and sound distortion. I didnt however loose and power or stability, im guessing that with later fsb and settings itl need more voltage soa cooler certainly wont goa miss. Also anyone suggest a decent cooler for my FX5600?
DoM

Back