• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most quiet water pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikapc

I'm planning to use my computer with some new fairly expensive semi-pro recording equipment to record in my room and I'm trying to look for ways to get lower sound level to a minimum. Right now I have a via aqua housed within a reservoir which along with the computer is housed within a cabinet of sorts which does a pretty good job of reducing sound but because the via aqua produces such a low frequency hum it's difficult to minimize that sound. I'm thinking of doing the via aqua silence mod but I'm a bit concerned naturally at taking apart an electrical device that is submerged in water. What would you suggest.. is the silence mod pretty safe and easy and if not should I just purchase another pump. If so which pump is powerful and quiet? The nice thing about the wc is I can at least for relatively substantial periods of time (30 minutes or so) run just the pump, vdd fan, and video card fan which all told don't produce a lot of sound.

The quietest pump I personally have used is an Eheim 1048- I can barely feel vibration, much less hear it.

I also have Eheim 1250s and while they can make some noise if not mounted properly, I have no problems when they are mounted using soft rubber/neoprene or similar mounting pads.

I have used a few other pumps- Dolphin, Maxi Jet specifically, and both of them made much more noise.

I completely agree. I use an ehiem 1250 and can hardly hear it. I mounted it on foam using thin nylon rope to hold it down to holes I drilled in the botom of the case. The 1048 should be even quieter.

the via aquia mod, (while i have no experience with that pump) should be very easdy to do. you will not even be messing with any of the electrical compoments. it is perfectly safe.

if that doesn't do it for you though, i have a mag3 and its damn quite. i have it cusioned nicely and i can't hear it over my 7-volt modded panaflo(medium flavor).

aheim 1250. I'm using it and u can't tell if its on or not just by hearing. as long as you could prevent vibrating, its dead silent.

i second the eheim 1048 and 1250 both very quiet although as mentioned the 1250 needs a cushion to stop vibrations. I've found hanging the pump with elastic bands works amazingly well too. The only reason i can hear it and only if i get really close to it is because i'm bleeding my rig and air bubbles are going through it.

Thanks very much pauldenton. Looks like I know know what pump to get (actually, still need to decide between Eheim 1048 and 1250, but I'm leaning towards the 1048 b/c less vibrations could mean less noise).

Back