• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

opinion about two rads and 3/4"ID to CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wardog50

O.k. heres the deal. I have a via aqua 306 (know its not a popular model but it has good stats. 526gph I dont remember the head output off hand but it was pretty decent as well.
The one thing I dont like is that it is submersable only.
I think I might mod it for outboard use but im not sure yet.
This pump also has 3/4"id output.
So I was thinking about running the output from a chilled res directly to a homemade block that would have a 3/4 intake in the middle. Then for output from that block have either 1/2 or 5/8id on each end. (two outputs)
The one thing that is in the way right now is that My chiller isnt finnished and is still going to be awhile.
So I thought that maybe after the pump I could have a pair of rads and split the 3/4 output to two 5/8 outputs to each rad. After going through them they would splice back together to 3/4 and go onto the cpu block.

Does that sound like an ok idea? is there any reason it wouldnt work?

Also if there is such a thing as a heater core or small auto radiator with 3/4 internals that would be a big help. I just havnt found one.

Tell me what you guys think.

Thanks

Wardog

Im also trying to get ideas for a box that would house the rads and pump.
My current case is way small. The problem is I dont want it very wide but if its not wide enough to put the rads side by side then they will have to be one in front of the other.
This will lower the ability to coll for the second one in line.
It would also be very difficult to stack them given the space I have to house my system.

Any ideas or pics of seperate housings used for cooling would be great.

Wardog

i know 73 caprice cores have a 5/8in and 3/4 out , im currently stretching 1/2id clearclex over the 3/4 barb , i dont see why you need that much flow ....

It may not make much of an improvement if any but since the pump is capable then there might be.

Id just like to try it.

By the way do you have a model # for the caprice core?
How much was yours?

Thanks for the reply

Wardog

WOW

I really htought that there would be more interest in the 3/4" system cooling.
Oh well after I build this thing then maybe more people will get an interest.
I think the extra flow will def. help. I mean 3/8" to 1/2" makes a pretty big difference. Oh well Ill just have to do it and take some pics. Oh ya and push my overclock too. Im only running 1.6v to the core now.

Anyway thanks for the help everybody.

If you have any other ideas let me know.

Wardog

Thats perfect and its not expensive at all.
Itll be much easier to use this one rad rather than two.

This way I wont have to split the water line.

The other rads I would have used would have been the pro cores in the scratch and dent section at d-tek I think it was.

Ill post some results and pics in the next couple weeks.

Wardog

If you were to have two rads id have the water flow into one heatercore, then go to the other core, then head back into the system. You might lose some flow this way, but it would cool the water better, in my opinion.

The reasoning for splitting the line and running the two rads was to keep the flow up because of the bigger pathway. That way I could try to take advantage of the 3/4" output of the pump.

You may be right though. I might try it both ways if i can get everything together, just to see what differences there are.

Later

Wardog

Im glad you posted uberblue. I actually staarted thinking about this awhile back when I saw your system posted.
I tried to find that thread but couldnt.
Ive been wondering what radiator and pump, blocks atc were used. Now I can go over it and see exactly what you did.
Thanks

Wardog

wardog50 said:
Im glad you posted uberblue. I actually staarted thinking about this awhile back when I saw your system posted.
I tried to find that thread but couldnt.
Ive been wondering what radiator and pump, blocks atc were used. Now I can go over it and see exactly what you did.
Thanks

Wardog

Everything in that rig has been scrapped except for the large diameter tubing, and 3/4" not big enough for me anymore. I've moved up to 1".

WOW 1 inch diameter.

Did you see an increase in performance cooling wise?

Also do you have any pics of that system?

I hope so.
Also whats in the new system for parts as far sa blocks pump rads etc. ?

Thanks

Wardog

Performance - I dunno. I've never used anything smaller than 3/4", so I can't make any definant claims of improved performance. I obviously *think* it does good or I wouldn't have stuck with it.

I'm keeping a tight lid on the current system untill i'm done with it and have it fully tweaked out

OH hoo

YOu
now its that much more need to know.

Dangit I need to find out how come its that secret?
Is there a new block design being deployed?

AHAHAHAHAH

Oh well

Thanks for the info

Let us know how your current setup goes too.

Wardog

Since your moving to 1" then you can give us a result of the increase from 3/4 to 1"

Later

Back