• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7 S short continious beeps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dr. Strangelove

Some where in middle America counting crows
Short continious beeps
I know this indicates a power supply problem but after testing the power supply it checks OK. Last night I installed an ATI 9800XT and the machine ran all night with no problems. I have disconnected fans and one cd drive and one of the hard drives, the tornado is running at my lowest setting but the beeping persist. I called tech support they were no help. Hardly spoke english enough to understand. Sorry I'm not bilingual. MBM5 shows all lines to be stable, AIDA32 shows the cmos battery to be 3.63vdc, tech support said it would not cause the problem I"m experiencing. I reduced my OC to stock levels as well as disconnecting the above mentioned items. My PSU is 420 watt and as stated above it's stable and tested OK with a compUSA tester. Any help would be appriciated.

xp2500
abit NF7 S rev2
mushkin lv2 3500 512
wd hard drives (1)40gig(1)200gig
4 case fans
1 92mm vantech tornado
dvd rom drive
dvd r+rw drive
hardcano 9
floppy drive
MS wireless mouse

What brand is your psu? I always put much more stock in what brand a psu is than what the claimed wattage is. This is not to say that some genaric psu aren't good, but those problems may go away with something like a Fortron, Sparkle, or Antec psu. You've got a nice rig there that I'm sure is very power hungry. Just a thought, there may well be something else that's causing your problems.

Last edited:
I agree w/ Ducker that a good quality PSU is always better.
Seeing that you didn't list your PSU in your sig, I'm guessing that it's a generic psu. Excuse me If I'm wrong. You should've to disconnect all the other fans and other hardware just to run your pc.

What are your voltage rails like? Are they up to spec?

Well, I just got my new 530watt Fortron PSU installed and it still is giving a short beep tone.:mad: :confused: Some times after running for a while the tone stops, if I reboot it starts again??? Is it time to RMA the board?

When I installed the new PSU on the initial boot sequence I got a single tone indicating successful boot the I got the dreaded siren, I remade all my connections and it booted ok but then the short tones again.

OK this is really weird, I was going over every thing I did when the tone started. I installed an ATI 9800xt and installed the drivers and utilities. along with the card is a free copy of Valves "HalfLife 2" when its released and valves program called "Steam". As I started to undo all of my installs one at a time. The tone stoped when "Steam " was uninstalled! The tone was not playing through my main speakers but rather through the pc speaker as the MB does. The first time the tone started I got an orange flash message on the task bar something about core voltage and then it disappeared before I could read it all or find the program source. I assumed it was MBM5. This lead to my assumption that I had a power issue. The message had not reappeared since. I reinstalled "Steam" and the tone is back. In settings I disabled the program startup w/windows and the tone is gone. When the progam is started I get the short beeping code again. This is really strange, a friend has Steam and has not experienced any problem. Who needs it anyway, I'll get valve to mail me a copy.

Oh well I got a really nice PSU now and the old one will go in my kids rig for gamming.

Back