• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nf7-S Raid question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mw521

I have been searching till im blue in the face so I will just post this. Nf7-s rev 2.0 mobo, 2 new 36 gig raptors. Runs fine on sata with one drive, in raid 0 though when installing win2k pro when computer reboots to finish install after initial bios crap just goes to black screen and thats it. Can partition, format setup raid anything I want and all that works fine. Just on the windows reboot for install it dies. Used an ide drive, windows on that, saw raid in os, formatted with that same thing. Have newest bios flashed. ARRRGHGHGHGHG! Help! Tired of using this comp to look around for answers. Got any??

Allright, finally tracked it down. The NF7-S wont work with bios version 2.1, 2.0 works fine. Dunno whats up wit dat but flashed back to 2.0 and works fine now. Ohhhhhh Raptor Raid!!!! If you have version 2.0 board you might have this problem so just passing it on if you do.

Reset Settings.

The only thing that is remotley similar that I ran into with raid on a dual AMD XP setup was this:

I was installing the Raid card drivers correctly, (Press F6 to install 3rd party drivers)

Apparently, during the first install, windows creates a pnp file that points bios where to look for it that points bios to the boot sector on the raid array.

If reset configuration in bios is set to Yes or enabled, that means that right after the install and a reboot, all pnp file references to SCSI or other drivers will be reset.

I learnt it the hard way, now I have my Dual XP 2100 @ 2250mhz running on a Raid 0. very smooth operation.
a 10 gig file takes less than 10 mins to transfer from a single drive to the raid array.

Sorry I didn't see this before, I could have saved you some trouble.

Bios d21 and even the newer d22 use the new Silicon Image SATA Bios 4.2.43. There were an overwhelming number of reports in the Abit-USA forums that this new bios cannot recognize sata drives in Raid-0, and thus, just hangs. Equito, the resident bios-modder in the Abit-Usa forums, offers a modded d21 and d22 with the older, tried-and-true 4.2.27 bios that is confirmed to work. I currently use the d20 modded by Equito with the 4.2.27 bios (I think the official d20 comes with an older one, 4.2.14 or something or other) just because there doesn't seem to be anything added in d21 or d22 (according to the release notes anyways). The 4.2.27 SATA bios detects the sata drives a little faster than the older one (which I assume you have if you're using the official d20 bios), and so decreases your boot times by a few seconds. I'd recommend flashing the Equito-modded d20 with 4.2.27 SATA Bios (you can find the posts in the nVidia Chipset motherboards section in the forum.abit-usa.com forums) or the modded d22 with the 4.2.27 SATA bios.

Sweet, ill give it a try. Nothing more frustrating than taking a simple procedure and making it an all night affair.

Back