• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Higher Voltages in A7V8X boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metalwave

Registered
I have an A7V8X-X board with a T-bred 2400... right now the voltage ranges are from 1.5 - 1.85V which is the default. Apparently by enabling the Over_Volt jumper you can use voltages from 1.7 - 2.05V. However, when I do this the BIOS still doesn't give me the option of going above 1.85V. I'm using the latest BIOS rev. (1007).

Does anyone have any experience in getting higher voltages out of this board? I could use some opinions...

I have an A7V8x and I am running bios version 1012. I had the overvolt jumpers set at disabled (jumpers 2-3 I believe) and I had the option to set up to 2.05 volts. I think you just need the newest bios. Here is a link http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V8X
Make sure you have this exact mobo, there are a couple varieties. Also, after disabling the overvolt, I could not seem to get the voltage down on my vcore. It always ran at 2.05v so I re-enabled the overvolt. It was really heating up my pc.
Hope this helps.

no I have the A7V8X-X, I think it's the same but it has the on board lan. I'm checking for a newer bios for that board (1008 I think). I'll try it and see.

I don't know anyone who's had luck with the overvolt jumper. I have found a good volt mod for the mobo though if you're interested.

The voltage mod I use is explained here

It's simple to do and works very well. You'll need a steady hand with the soldering or use a pomona grabber to attach a wire to pin 24 on the voltage regulator IC. The chip is located about 1.5 cm above the CPU socket (note that pin 1 is in the corner where the circle on the chip is). Go from pin 24 to ground with a fixed resistor in between. I've tried a 150 ohm resistor and that gives +0.10 V over what's set in the BIOS. A 100 ohm resistor gives +0.20 V and 50 ohm gives +0.3 V over the set voltage (note you'll have to disable your hardware monitor above 2 V as the BIOS will keep sending you an error message).

I haven't tried less than 50 ohm as I don't get more MHz with a higher Vcore and it gets too hot at 2.15 V. I didn't want to try a VR either as you forget to what's it's set at and if you want to change it it becomes a hassle - not to mention what would happen if you had it turned to too low a resistance. Note that this Vmod doesn't overheat your mofsets like some other mobos - not that I've noticed.

Be careful that you solder only to pin 24. You will fry your mobo if you mess up the solder job!!! - this is from experience! Use a high magnification magnifying lens to make sure nothing else is touching the pin 24 connection.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Yes, that's what I did. I soldered a longer wire to the voltage regulator and a longer one to ground. Then I hooked up the 2 leads to a spare connector from an old fan. This is where I put the resistor. I just jumped the connector with the resistor that I wanted to use. This allows me to easily change the resistor and also by having the connector left open, the voltmod is disabled. I ran this connector to a spare drive bay so I could easily get at it (without taking the case side off)by popping the cover of the drive bay off.

Great idea. Thanks for your help. One more question and i'm a n00b for asking it.. but just making sure. But the ground i solder it to is pin 7? AGND? I'm looking at the diagram on the Xtreme System Forums Vmod you posted.

Last edited:
What I found with my A7V8X is that with the overvolt jumper enabled the bios would still display the same voltage settings (1.575 - 1.775) but each one would represent a higher setting - for example 1.6 would now be 1.8 or something like that. You can use CPUZ or MBM5 to check this.

I think apu318 is right, the -X versions don't respond to the jumper change. Nothing happens on my board when I change the overvolt jumper, and I've heard repeated stories that the jumper doesn't do anything.

Maybe the -X version is a hackdown in some ways. Not a great overclocker, but a great stable mobo once you get the settings you want.

apu318 said:
Great idea. Thanks for your help. One more question and i'm a n00b for asking it.. but just making sure. But the ground i solder it to is pin 7? AGND? I'm looking at the diagram on the Xtreme System Forums Vmod you posted.

NO!!! ground is always the computer case. Or more accuratly the case of the PSU (which is connected to the computer case which is metal, and so the whole case is grounded). I connected mine to the screws that fasten the mobo to the case.

The AGND is probably similar to the common line (the black wire from the PSU) which is not the ground, even though is has 0 volts.

So it's pin 24 (VFB) to resistor to case (or mobo screws).

... there's a first time for every question. Now you're no longer new to this :)

fyre said:
What I found with my A7V8X is that with the overvolt jumper enabled the bios would still display the same voltage settings (1.575 - 1.775) but each one would represent a higher setting - for example 1.6 would now be 1.8 or something like that. You can use CPUZ or MBM5 to check this.

I've noticed when I set my vcore to 1.65v, it shows under MBM5 as 1.82v. Haven't checked if my overvolt jumper is enabled or not.

Back