• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fedco 2-342 is Aluminum!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrMOSFET

To: partsamerica.com

Hello,

I was wondering if you could tell me what material Fedco 2342 is made from. I want to make sure it does not contain any Aluminum.

Response:
Dear Sam,

Thank you for visiting PartsAmerica.com and taking the time to contact us.

This part is an aluminum part.

If you have any further questions please contact us via e-mail or toll free at 877.808.0698. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Chris #3807

Not good :(

Are you sure they didn't mean it has aluminum fins but copper passes and brass tanks?

Yep, I've had 5 HCs including a procore and they all have aluminum fins, copper passes, and brass or copper tanks except 1 which was fully aluminum. Now that I think of it, my 2-342 might have had copper tanks. I'm not positive because I sliced those long copper tubes off and painted it black the first day I had it :D

Soja said:
Yep, I've had 5 HCs including a procore and they all have aluminum fins, copper passes, and brass or copper tanks except 1 which was fully aluminum. Now that I think of it, my 2-342 might have had copper tanks. I'm not positive because I sliced those long copper tubes off and painted it black the first day I had it :D

I assume you made a shroud for the 2-342. How did you go about doing that? The only thing that is scaring me away from it (other than the possibility of it being aluminum) is creating a shroud for it. The chevette cores have the advantage of having professionaly made shrouds.

I used sheet metal. This guide has good pointers. Cathar's thread on making a shroud for his big arse radiator (similar to most 120x2 rads) is great also.

I've got two of them sitting on my desk. Throught he process of hacking the crap out of them for some heavy duty mods, I know for a fact they are copper/brass. The silvery looking stuff on the fins is solder.

It might be that parts america has an aluminum version. Why take the chance. Get a Balkamp from NAPA.

Try autozone.

DarkSide8416 posted:
Pick 1972- Chevrolet Pickup- K10 1/2 TON P/U 4WD- 8 Cylinders 402 6.6L 4BL
Then click on Shopping, enter your zip code, select Climate Control, select Heater Core, select With A/C
And BINGO you should have part number 399090 for $17.99

Soja said:
Try autozone.

DarkSide8416 posted:

Hmmm... I get 29.99... but same part number.

I tried the same procedure at Napa, and it worked... and it is only $18

I wonder why it is cheaper than a chevette core?

Thanks for the help :)

Actually none of those had aluminum fins, thats just the solder that your seeing. If you look deeper into the fins you will see copper. The tubes and tanks are actualy BRASS.

Jon

Soja said:
Are you sure they didn't mean it has aluminum fins but copper passes and brass tanks?

Well I sent another email to parts america and they finally got back to me and told me they contacted the maker... the Fedco 2-342 is indeed a fully copper/brass heater core. So I guess it was a false alarm.

Edward2 said:
MrMosfet, do you have a link for the Napa site? I get $29.99 for both Autozone and Napa. Thanks.

Ahhh crap! :mad: My eyes played tricks on me..... I was looking at the part name and when my eyes moved over I must have skipped down a line.

Back