• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEDCO 2-342 vs Danger Den Double Heater Core.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marc999

I was wondering which would be the better preformer? I figure the Danger Den Radiator may fit the two 120mm fans better and hence may work better. Here's the URL for the Danger Den (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

(I don't know if this matters but I plan on using two 120mm fans at 5V, probably at 2 x 20 cfm, so VERY low air flow and probably an Eheim 1048 pump).

P.S. - I assume both are single pass. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The DD double HC is two pass. Both should have roughly the same surface area with the difference being flow resistance.

Has the least flow resistance of any radiator

I'm throwing the BS flag on that one.

All that that is, is a FEDCO 2-274 core for a Caprice.

Here's a graph of resistance curves for common cores.
UberBlue.jpg

Original here. Graph by Since87 from BillA's data.

As you can see, at any given flow rate the 2-274 has four times the flow resistance of a 2-342 even thought they are the same size.

Last edited:
Uberblue wrote:
As you can see, at any given flow rate the 2-274 has four times the flow resistance of a 2-342 even thought they are the same size.
Hmm, so it looks like the Danger Den is not the best choice. Does anyone know if there's a place to buy a pre-modded 2-342 (with shrounds if possible)? I'm not very mechanical, but I want the best. :D

I havent seen any pre-modded 2-342 however there are numerous people that have made custom shrouds for it. It's not hard and can be done quiet easy. Im not too sure on this but I think it will fit 2 80mm fans...

UberBlue
Would be nice if you acknowledged and referenced work by others.
heh im sure he forgot

Les56 said:
UberBlue
Would be nice if you acknowledged and referenced work by others.
The graph you have represented was created by Since87 from Billa's data.
It was first presented http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5936&page=5

You're comepletely right. I'm sorry.

The claim by danger den kinda spun me up, and in the heat of the moment I spaced it.

marc999 said:

I hope you're wrong. I want to use a dual 120mm fan configuration. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The 2-342 wil comfortably fit two 120mm fans. For shrouds you're on your own, but the good news is you don't need to mod the core for barbs. 1/2" ID tubing will fit over the copper tubing that's already there.

UberBlue,
Thanks very much for the info. One thing perhaps you can help me with. In this post, DarkSide8416 posted:
Pick 1972- Chevrolet Pickup- K10 1/2 TON P/U 4WD- 8 Cylinders 402 6.6L 4BL
These instructions were for Autozone, but they don't give any info on the heatercore. So if I plug in the same part number on NAPA (under non-NAPA part number) I get:
Length: 6 1/8''
Width: 2''
Height: 9 1/2''
Hose Size: I 3/4'' O 5/8''

As you can see, there's no 1/2" hose diameter. So does this mean that this is the wrong heater core? What does FEDCO 2-342 mean anyways, cause that's not anywhere in the description. Is FEDCO just a brand name and Balkamp a different brand name? Sorry, but you'd think because I'm a guy I'd know something about cars, but I have no clue (obviously). :)

marc999 said:
UberBlue,
Thanks very much for the info. One thing perhaps you can help me with. In this post, DarkSide8416 posted:

These instructions were for Autozone, but they don't give any info on the heatercore. So if I plug in the same part number on NAPA (under non-NAPA part number) I get:

As you can see, there's no 1/2" hose diameter. So does this mean that this is the wrong heater core? What does FEDCO 2-342 mean anyways, cause that's not anywhere in the description. Is FEDCO just a brand name and Balkamp a different brand name? Sorry, but you'd think because I'm a guy I'd know something about cars, but I have no clue (obviously). :)

sorry for the wrong info bout 2 80mm fans...

But anywats, for the barbs you can boil your tubing. I m ean boil them do not just put them in hot water... and then when your tubing gets soft you can stretch it over the barb. It takes alot of work but you can do it. Oh BTW, You need to cut off the existing barb so that theres only 1inch left then slide the tubing over them.

ILikeMy240sx said:

sorry for the wrong info bout 2 80mm fans...

But anywats, for the barbs you can boil your tubing. I m ean boil them do not just put them in hot water... and then when your tubing gets soft you can stretch it over the barb. It takes alot of work but you can do it. Oh BTW, You need to cut off the existing barb so that theres only 1inch left then slide the tubing over them.

Yep. It's not that hard to do.

UberBlue said:

You're comepletely right. I'm sorry.

The claim by danger den kinda spun me up, and in the heat of the moment I spaced it.

Was not suggesting you delete the graph but to provide a link to source.
Your representation gave useful interpretation of the Legend.
Suggest you reedit the post to include the graph.

EDIT: UberBlue: an excellent edit.

Last edited:
marc999 said:
UberBlue,

Those are the correct dimensions and that is the correct heater core.

I don't know for certain, but I think FEDCO is a standardised specification for a part, and part number regardless of manufacturer.

Thanks for your help guys. I just wanted to make sure I didn't get the wrong part. That would really suck a$$. :)

The demensions for the Danger Den Double Heater Core are:
Length: 6 1/8"
Width: 2"
Height: 11"
and they sell customer shrouds for it.

The demensions are close to the FEDCO 2 - 342. Do you think these Danger Den shrouds would work with the 342?

I couldn't get boiled hose onto my tubes even with a lot of force. Anyway, 2 female 1/2" x 3/4" / 5/8" fit pretty easily. A bit of jbweld and you're set.

asdfghjkl.JPG

This is a picture of a FEDCO 2-234 manufactured by Balkamp, purchased from NAPA.

The tubing is 1/2" ID, 1/8" wall Tygon that has been put on without the aid of boiling water all the way down to the tank.

Dimensions of the actuall core excluding tanks measured by me:

9 and 1/2" long

6 and 1/8" wide

2" deep.

In your case, since you don't want to do any modding, the Danger Den shroud will not work. Even if the 2-342 was 11" long, I'd be concerned about clearance around the in/out, as they are mounted closer to the core on the tanks of the 2-342 than they are on the 2-274.

Yes, depending on what size tubing you use X to 3/4" & 5/8" sized barbed fittings should fit. Your best bet would be bringing the heatercore to a local hardware store and asking them for fittings, they should be able to find the right ones for you.

UberBlue,
Thanks so much for the detailed info (tubing type, where you bought from, etc.) and the pic. A picture is really worth a thousand words.

Soja,
Thats a great suggestion. I may just do EXACTLY what UberBlue has though, just to avoid any confusion and to save some time.

Back