• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA+ V2.1 or NF7 V2.0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkRawk911

Alright, well, I have one of each of these, and I'm wondering which one will do me better for overclocking. I know the 8RDA+ has the MCP-T southbridge, which with an SPDIF bracket will give me soundstorm audio, (not sure if it works with Logitech Z-560 speakers though), and the NF7 has the MCP southbridge, so I would end up using a Soundblaster Audigy. Anyways, here are the rest of my systems specs:

2500+ Barton (2003, week 30, supposedly a great overclocker)
512 Mb Mushkin pc3500 level 2 black
Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro
Western Digital 80Gb, 8mb cache
Lite-on Cd-Rw
Antec TruePower 480
Good watercooling gear

So, which board do you think would suit me better? One of them is for me, and one is for the family computer, I just haven't decided which is for which yet... One thing I noticed is that the NF7 has a P4 12v connecter on the board to prived more stability while overclocking. Oh, yeah, one more thing, I know that on the 8RDA+ V2.1 you can adjust the voltage to the NB in the BIOS, can you do this on the NF7?

Any comments/suggestions would really help.

I'd have to say just try them out. The NF7 does have voltage adjustment for the northbridge. I recently switched from an 8RDA+ 1.1 to a NF7-S 2.0. So far I haven't seen any gains. Both boards have seen windows at 230fsb stock. The NF7-S limits the multipliers I can use. The EPoX overvolted vcore and the Abit undervolts it. The Abit overvolts vdimm which can be a good thing. I think this changes on a board to board basis though. I'm a fan of soundstorm audio. The extra 12v connector while being a nice feature, has not helped my maximum overclock. By the way, where may I ask did you find a 8RDA+ 2.1? Good Luck.

I got the 8RDA+ V2.1 off of newegg a few months back and it's just been in a family computer for a while not really seeing anything more than e-mail and internet.

Back