• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vdd Mod question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BLIssID

ok well i was going to follow this guide:
http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?12.255

my 1.2 gives me 1.63vdd when set to 1.7, this locks me at 205FSB :(

so anyways, back to my point. in that guide it says to set the VDD to 1.4(lowest) in bios.

now my question is, lets say i do that and also do the VDD mod, and get it to 1.6volts(while it is set to 1.4v in bios) would i be able to bump up the volts in bios?

IE: 1.5 would really be 1.7
1.6 would really be 1.8
etc.

or would it be better to just leave it at 1.4v in bios, and keep lowering the resistance to gain higher volts?

thanks.

I have found that alot of board up the voltage but not exactly sometimes like 1.7 gives 1.63 well my 1.7 gives 1.76 but yes if you set the vdd to 1.6 when set to 1.4 in bios then if you up the bios to 1.6 you should be around 1.8.

right right, i set mine to 1.7 while @ 1.4, so setting to 1.7 in bios gives me 2.0 :D. worked like a charm.

good luck,

J.

ok great! just what i wanted to hear.

ill get around to doing it once i search the house, and find a 2b pencil. :)

thanks for the info!

Be careful what contact points you check your voltage on! The upper one (shaped like a mosfet) can short your board out. I've done it myself, it really sucks.

Make sure you check your voltage at the lower solder point.

this kind of confused me so let me get this right... if you leave the voltage at 1.4 in bios but use the mod to raise it to 1.7, then if you raise the volt in bios to 1.6, it should theoreticly raise it to 1.9? (sounds obvious but its confusing to a simpleton like myself. what if you have enough cooling on the northie and you are able to max out voltage through the mod, is it safe to to raise the volt in the bios too?

when i checked my board, i used the mosfet point. It seemed to be fine....
i thought that the solder point is what can short out your board....

and yes, if you have your vdd in bios @ 1.4v and do the mod, and get to lets say 1.7v, when you set your vdd in bios @ 1.5v you will have 1.8v

Well, i finally got around to doing the mod, it did me no good.

seems pretty odd, with 1.87volts @ 210FSB, prime95 does not fail.(ran for a good 11 hours) But i do notice in games such as COD or CS that the computer tends to lock up for a split second, then go back to normal. even was happening with 1.93v.

now this could be 2 things,
#1: not good enough cooling on NB. (i'm still using stock HSF with AS3 on it, warm to the touch)
#2: my board hit the max, and doesn't want to go any farther.

now I’m leaning more towards #1, because if prime doesn't fail, but i do get small split second lockups, heat might be the problem.

think its time to toss a vantec copper ice on it, and see whats really going on.

I would say get a new cooler on that thing. I run mine at 1.9V with the gold Zalman heatsink and its cool to the touch in load. But I have really good airflow at that spot.

Right now I'm priming 215 @1.9V when I was stuck at 200 at 1.7V before. I would think you should get some gain also but like you said it might just be maxed out. Once I get a fan on the Zalman I will shoot for 2.0V. :D

you do have a R1.2 correct?

and i guess i could replace the cooler when i feel like taking everything apart. i think i might max out at 210FSB or around that, because at 215FSB, no program wanted to load correctly.

Back