• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does my submersible pump/resevoir have to be perfectly sealed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeerHunter

I'm assembling my first WC project so forgive my ignorance. But in reading all/most of the reviews on the main site I can't fiqure out how I'm going to build a resevoir.

I am buying the renouned Ehiem 1250 and plan to place it in a 32oz mason jar with air tight metal lid they come with.

I was planning on siliconing the pump in there and the silicon would act to absorb vibration in addition to holding the pump secure.

I will drill three holes in the lid, two for half inch barbs, one for pumps power cord.

Now my question is does this container need to be air tight? If so I'll silicon around the holes I drill.

Another question is have is does the return line going into the resevoir need to be under the fluid level?

Your input is aprreciated.

Is a reservoir a must? Thats going to be a pretty big res for a 1250. Anyway, it would be better if it was water tight to prevent any leaks. I had a electrical junction box res that was pretty much water tight except for the fill hole but it was only prone to little drops if it was on its side. And no the return line doesn't have to be under the fluid level.

Soja said:
Is a reservoir a must? Thats going to be a pretty big res for a 1250. Anyway, it would be better if it was water tight to prevent any leaks. I had a electrical junction box res that was pretty much water tight except for the fill hole but it was only prone to little drops if it was on its side. And no the return line doesn't have to be under the fluid level.

NO, But I was thinking the dampening mass of the water and glass would prevent much noise. Also I think a resevoir is a easier/constant way to get air out of the system....but I could be wrong.

In my CPU case a 32 oz jar is no problem as far as size...is the Ehiem really that small? Maybe a 20 oz jar would work.

Although I was mainly asking if siphoning effect would happen when pumps off...filling the lines with air and eventually overflowing the resevoir with fluid all over computer. That's why I asked about return line. If it's under fluid level the hydrolic head (or something like that) prevents air from entering system.

Last edited:
Hrm, my return line came from the top of the reservoir (similar to how you describe your 3 holes) but I had tubing going into the water to prevent the sound of running water. I don't think that when the pump starts off it would cause air to fill the lines. Even so, wouldn't it be bled out of your fill hole or bleeding point?

an eheim 1250 is 7.1 x 3.8 x 4.7 in. - and that's without allowing sufficient space around it not to restrict the inlet.... are you sure there's space? (i'm not familiar with mason jar's - probably called something else this side of the pond - but 32oz doesn't sound very big to me... 2 US pints iiuc)

i would submerge the return b/c if the water comes down the line hits air then water its gonna make bubbles , try it and see what i mean

Back