• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pumpless convection cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mumrah

Is it possible to have very low restrictive components and have the heat of the cpu or nb or gpu drive a convection cell?

like a maze 3 wb and copper tubes as a non restrictive radiator. all 1/2"id tubing. maybe have sections of the copper piping in a trough of water..

I think it would be possible if the radiator was on the top of the loop.. I remember someone's loop was messed up but thanx to the location of the rad his system survived... I suppose no extreme OC with this...

Yeah, like everyone said, it's possible. Usually it requires the radiator to be at the top mounted horizontally to work properly. That way, the warm water rises and the cold air sinks to the block. A Swiftech MCW5002 would probably be the best block for that type of setup.

hmm, i've got one of those swiftech rads... however i think the arrangement of my res would hinder such a cell.. maybe something to try one day :)

There are only three requirements for natural circulation:

• A difference in temperature must exist.
  • The heat source must be lower in elevation than the heat sink.
  • The fluids of different temp must be in contact with each other.

Even if natural circulation has begun, removal of any one of the conditions will cause natural circulation to stop.

Thermal driving head is the effect that causes natural circulation. This effect is due to the density change caused by a temperature differetial. In general, the greater the temperature differential between the hot and cold areas of fluid, the greater the thermal driving head and the resulting flow rate.

Keep in mind that with a natural circulation loop, minimizing flow resistance is critical. A maze 3 and a Swiftech rad aren't going to cut it.

UberBlue wrote,
Keep in mind that with a natural circulation loop, minimizing flow resistance is critical. A maze 3 and a Swiftech rad aren't going to cut it.
So what is the best waterblock for a pumpless system (I know the Cascade is really liked around here but I'm not familiar with it's flow resistance)? For rad I would assume the FEDCO 2-342 we've been talking about would be the best choice right?

marc999 said:
UberBlue wrote,

So what is the best waterblock for a pumpless system (I know the Cascade is really liked around here but I'm not familiar with it's flow resistance)? For rad I would assume the FEDCO 2-342 we've been talking about would be the best choice right?

I spent allot of time thinking about natural circulation. As it stands, there is no block on the market theat is ideal for natural circulation. It needs to be something with a maximum of surface area and minimum resistance. Something like an SLK 900 that has been sealed of with the in/out on opposite sides. That would offer a single pass through while maximizing surface area.

I think this would be one instance where a Swiftech MCW-462UH would outperform a Cascade. A 2-342 would be ideal to.

UberBlue,
Oh, oh, oh, I have a GREAT idea!!!! :D
(thanks to you ........)

What about taking a Thermalright SP-97 and modding it a bit. First go here and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Here's a good pic of the SP Thermalrights if you're not familiar with them.

Basically, there's 3 heatpipes that run along the top and bottom. What if you got a 1/2" barb welded onto each side of the heatsink. Each barb would be a split into two, then three (two 45 degree bends off the barb that run up/down into the three tubes at the top/bottom of the heatsink, then converging in the same mannor at the other side). The six tubes in the heatsink would use the exising holes for the heatpipe.

What do you think?? (I hope you get what I mean).

Last edited:
Back