• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plans For an External Water Box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoingH2o

After reading this article http://www.overclockers.com/tips1111/ and planning for the whole christmas period about moving my pump,rad and res to an external box its time to share some development and later this week some pics of my work till now.

MGM4.jpg

That is the real thing that inspired me.

Ok lets start with the material itself. I started out with the plan of using plexiglass but after some tips from some friends i went for clear acrylic. The sheets didnt cost me nothing i got them free from a friend who manages a sign shop. He hooked me up with a another friend of his and managed to cut the exact size of the box with a laser cutter and believe that thing is really nice, rounded edges and clear looking.

My concerns are 2

1. Should i look the attach the shrouds and fans to the rad or just eliminate the shrounds and attach the fan/s on the other side?
2. Having a res and a Jfettig's Gpu Block (Thanks dood that block really does the job well :) ) i was thinking going for the route of rad>cpu block>gpu block>res>pump to eliminate the hosing mess.
Any other suggestions?

Ill post pics of the box later on this week :)

I built some shrouds using flashing from a hardware store mixed with some $1.00 weather stripping. I don't think the fan idea would have worked in my situation...

Sorry for big pics..
]
Shroud.JPG

again.JPG

everything%20in%20its%20place.JPG
don't mind the toes. :)

fully%20assembled.JPG

THEBOX3.JPG

you could do the shroud less thing, just put the fans on the back side of the box, and then put the core right on side, it looks like it'll work from what your mockup looks like if that is your mockup, with a pair of 120's on mine, a piece of paper will be sucked inward against the core (caprice classic core). my setup is run the same way as what you describe and i get good temps like 95* F at full load all day long with fans running silently

Ok here is an update of my waterbox

No pics yet since my computer is out of order for some minor changes, changing hdd's to sata and cutting the holes for the tubes to the waterbox.

Joker i like your way of mounting the shrouds vertically, thinking of doing the same things :) ( if you dont mind ;) )
All is set for this weekend to fit everything in the box and restart the pc hopefully with much better results.

Back