• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump On/Off question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ayoung

I hear some ppl talking about how they shut off there pumps at night.

If Im running SETI and I shut off my pump, I can watch my temps on MBM5 or my little digidoc raise about 2-3C and then my computer totally freezes.

Is this normal? If not, what could be the cause?

I think you are misinterpreting what "people" are saying. They are probably shutting it off when they turn off their systems at night. I would never shut off my pump while my computer is running, especially under load such as SETI. I believe you're system is freezing because its overheating.

ayoung said:
Is this normal? If not, what could be the cause?

mine does the same thing, i believe there is a delay in temp results from the motherboard. you have to keep in mind that you're at a high overclock because your computer is better cooled, if it wasn't, it wouldn't be stable. even at 'idle' your cpu still works in the background so to say, if it can't maintain stability, it'll freeze.
from my own personally use, with my 2100+ @ stock, it can stay stable until 60~65c before freezing. @ 2.4ghz up until 45c.

Ok, thats what I thought.. I was just playing dumb.

Im pretty sure ppl said they turned there pump off at night and left there PC on...

Cuz others were saying they have had theres on for months on end with no probs.

So it leads me to think they were talking about with there computer on.

Adam

there are two kinds of water coolers.. ones that leave there pump on all the time, and ones that switch it off when there computer is off. when they said leaving it on for months, they were refering to the pump. people argue over this because pumps have a lifetime and leaving it on 24/7 isn't that great for the pump, people will argue with me over that, but just goes to show my its a busy topic here on the forums.

Yeah ive read thats its actually better to keep in running 24/7 because thats what they were made to to. So turning it on and off with the comp would hurt the pump due to wear from getting the water moving again.

Raider84 said:
Yeah ive read thats its actually better to keep in running 24/7 because thats what they were made to to. So turning it on and off with the comp would hurt the pump due to wear from getting the water moving again.

I agree.. pumps like Mag3/1250/L30 were all designed with the consideration of running the pump 24/7... Im not too sure whether turning it on/off will sear out the pump but with proper maintenance once in a while pump will last a long time...

Back