• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling keeps me up at night!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
OK, this may sound dumb, but ever since I built my water cooled rig, I can't help but lie in bed thinking that my computer will spontaneously spring a leak and fry all of my beloved components. My pump runs separately from my computer, so even if I turn off my computer, my pump still runs. Since there is no cooling for the fluid when my computer is off, I don't turn it off, otherwise the coolant gets quite warm. Anyway, my question is, what are the chances it is going to leak? Have any of you encountered a disaster such as a leak in the middle of the night? Anyone want to share their horror stories? I am an inch away from buying one of those pump relay kits. Who knows...maybe I will even have to drain my coolant every single night! Lol, ok, not that bad, but still......I need to stop worrying about it!

-Collin-

I don't even turn off my rigs, any of them. They all fold 24/7. The water rig has given me no problems running all the time. I don't even think twice about it anymore.

Do a search on leaks, most who have had them haven't suffered too much if any damage.

Want to worry? Get an aquarium - then think about 150 gallons spilling all over the floor - lol.

i've been running mine 24/7 and recently moved the whole computer to my dorm and haven't seen anything remotely close to a leak :) as long as you used good tubing and clamps i wouldn't worry about it

Yah my summer job last year was at a Irrigation company were we dealt with fittings all the time. It takes a lot of presure to blow those tubes off the barbs so you dont have to be worried about that as far as I am concerned.

NinjaZX6R said:
Thanks guys! I can sleep once again!

-Collin-
I have had my rig water cooled for about 3 years or so, been running 24/7 except for maintenance. I go on vacation for 2 weeks, the rig runs. It NEVER goes off unless I am working on it. I use the metal auto worm hose clamps on ALL the hose connections, I recommend you do the same.

i was obsessive/compulsive like that, i would even minimize online games to check on temps and screw over my team. Three leaks later and no damages, now i pretty much could careless what happens cuz nothing seems to break down unless i touch it.

haha yea just dont worry too much... As long as you used clamps, TEF tape, etc everything should be fine...

I got so carefree and lazy... I changed my pump, and all my fittings then refilled, bled with the component inside the PC... i know thats not a good practice but yea... just to give you an idea how safe it can be...

Teflon, hose clamps....did it all. It has been running for a week now, no problems...so I think its all good. Thanks for the peace of mind guys!

-Collin-

just dont get too comfortable with it. My system had been leaking for several months... i was aware of this... i ignored it. Leak is fixed now (finally), but i was to the point that i was far TOO comfortable.

Back