• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bad coverage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigsoomo

sup guys i installed my rig it was leak free...put in my old duron to check if its good...then smelled some funky burning crap! poor contact on the cpu so it fried. so i popped in my 1800xp and tightended a little more than the first time...then BOOM its fried also...i have the gemini spiral and i belive it sucks when it comes to having contact with the cpu =(((((((((((((

Always check heatsink or waterblock contact by covering the die in thermal paste, seating the block or heatsink properly, then removing it. If it shows up clean, you have a problem. On the otherhand, if it has a nice rectangular imprint of paste with an even coating, you're good to go. This is assuming that the waterblock is actually flowing coolant, and that the fan on the heatsink works. Otherwise, man the PSU switch and get ready to flip it if something doesn't work.

Sorry to hear about the chips :(. Leadsalad's advice is a must when using spring mounting. BTW Do you have thermal shutdown on your mobo? It's saved my chip a couple times due to bad mounts :-/

that sucks. sounds like you've got plenty of cpus to burn. if i had done that to 2 processors there would have been a lot of :bang head: and :mad: in my post. good luck getting it running though. i would be meticulous in making sure the waterblock was touching the core before i powered up next time.

Just to be safe, make sure there aren't any drops of water or little pieces of metal or something on the motherboard.

But what the other two guys have said is right on.

i cracked my 2500 with a bad mount , i think all w/b makers need to make a thermalright slk900u style mounting bracket so , 1 it doesnt bend board , 2 its really hard not to get a good mount , 3 it can be used with heatsinks without changing rods , mayby thermal right should make w/b's....

yeah sucks hard, i did what leadsalad told me to do. i guess i didnt tighten it enough when i put it back on...but for now i got a 2600 barton with an abit a7n...........=) i think im going to take a breeak from wc'ing

i pulled all my w/c out for construction of my waterbox pics up soon , but my slk900u and 92mm alum fan are pretty dang good and pretty quiet , the only reason i dont go back to air is i wont get what i payed for my w/c

Back