• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the smallest pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Recomend? That's a touchy subject as everyone seems to have different experiences w/ pumps. Some small pumps are:

1. Maxi-jet
2. Via Aqua
3. Hydor

It seems that most folks have had good experiences with Hydor. I've had good luck w/ Maxi's in aquariums (years) but it's too soon for me to tell in the WC arena.

maxijets rock! but if you have too much restriction in your system, it won't prefrom very well. For a 1~2 block setup, maxis are great! Plus they're made in Italy, quality and cheap at the sametime!

I've been fine with the fish tank pumps from the pet shops (but I do get a discount so....) I've never actually bought one of these name brand pumps but I will soon for a friends setup.

I hear the via aqua is nice for the price.

Mmm tasty animals.... Anyways, what about the restrictions placed by a single block and a single 120mm radiator?

The Maxijets are very small but not the best for performance. They work better when submerged and in lowrestriction systems.

The Hydors are fairly small but have pretty good flow (The Hydor L30 keeps up with a Eheim 1250)

The mcp600 & danner mag3s are medium size and eheims are large!

I would not get a Via as there knowen to be a bit unreliable and athough ive never relly looked into it i thought they were attualy quite big.

If your using a low restriction system then you could use a maxijet900 inline but if you are using anymore than 2 waterblocks or a single high restriction block ( ww./RBX) get a Hydor L30.

Damn i would like one of those, but 160 bucks? I just dotn have enough money to put that much into a single component...

Ive heard good things about the Mag3, how much and how big is it? Is it noisy?

deathBOB said:
Damn i would like one of those, but 160 bucks? I just dotn have enough money to put that much into a single component...

Ive heard good things about the Mag3, how much and how big is it? Is it noisy?

Yeah, that's the thing. Over here in the big brown land (Australia), quality pumps that one would trust using typically range from $75-150 US anyway, so it's not such a big deal for us. In the USA where anything above $75US is considered exceedingly expensive for a pump, this results in a different attitude when it comes to pumps.

Mag3's are nice. About the best price/performance pump on the market. Not noisy as long as it isn't allowed to vibrate against anything. Size is around 4"x4"x4" I believe. Someone can correct me. Never seen one myself.

I can buy Maxi-jets at my local pet store but it's half the price online. "Big Al's" has been a good place to buy them for $15~20 for some time now. http://www.bigalsonline.com
I have used both the Maxi-jet 600 and 900, and both where fine for my needs.

Back