• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bios update problems. help me please :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AL Romero

im trying to update my bios from version 19 to version 21. i have an abit nf7-s version 2 mobo. i have created the boot disk with the new bios information which i downloaded from abit-usa. when i boot into bios and type this :

swdflash se6_sw.bin /cc /cd /cp /py /sn /cks /r_

then it brings up a screen that says all kinds of **** and i dont know what it all means. :( when i type exit, or quit, or anything else it does nothing. is there something i have to type to get it to load the new version of bios?

i read the tread "bios update guide" and it seem to be directed towards a different bios program or something cuz what i saw was not what the guide said.

AL Romero said:
im trying to update my bios from version 19 to version 21. i have an abit nf7-s version 2 mobo. i have created the boot disk with the new bios information which i downloaded from abit-usa. when i boot into bios and type this :

swdflash se6_sw.bin /cc /cd /cp /py /sn /cks /r_

then it brings up a screen that says all kinds of **** and i dont know what it all means. :( when i type exit, or quit, or anything else it does nothing. is there something i have to type to get it to load the new version of bios?

i read the tread "bios update guide" and it seem to be directed towards a different bios program or something cuz what i saw was not what the guide said.

After booting the floppy, just type:

awdflash se6_sw.bin

Then follow the prompts the program gives you to complete the operation.

Much simpler:)

Al

whats up al, im al too hehe

r u sure cuz my abit manual says to that hole thing out. it sya DO NOT just type out swardflash se6_sw.bin

AL Romero said:
whats up al, im al too hehe

r u sure cuz my abit manual says to that hole thing out. it sya DO NOT just type out swardflash se6_sw.bin

OK, we'll play it safe.

I looked at the manual and it says as you say....but what is the name of the bios file you are flashing?? The manual says to type out "awdflash se6_sw.bin /cc /cd /cp /py /sn /cks /r_".

I think the "se6_sw.bin" is just an example bios file name the manual is using, I dont think you are meant to type that exact file name in. The program is probably freezing because it cant find the file on disk.

What is the name of the updated bios file you are flashing? try substituting it for the "se6_sw.bin" in the command line. Make sure a copy of the file is on the disk.

So, you type: awdflash "your bios filename" /cc /cd /cp /py /sn /cks /r_ where the "your bios file name" is the name of the bios file you are flashing to. (dont use the quotes):)

**Actually, the manual just recommends that you use the switches, leading me to believe you probably could omit them.**

Try that and see what happens:)

Al

Last edited:
dude im fuc*in confused. this is my first bios update and i dont wanna fuc* it up!!!!

the program doesnt freeze when i type all that ****. it opens some menu and i dont know how to use the menu. it says all kinds of ****. i wasnt sure what to type so i typed EXIT and it then QUIT and it did nothing but say command invalid or some **** like that.

the file is named nf7d_21.bin i think

so my question is, what do u do after that menu somes up? it doesnt ask me any questions. it just says like:

FilName1:awdflash
FileName2: blah blah blah
cc:blah blah
cp: blah blah

something like that :(

should i type what u said:

swdflash nf7d_21.bin/cc /cd /cp /py /sn /cks /r_

AL Romero said:
should i type what u said:

swdflash nf7d_21.bin/cc /cd /cp /py /sn /cks /r_

Yes, but leave a space after the bin and the /

awdflash nf7d_21.bin /cc /cd /cp /py /sn /cks /r_

The switches are for automatic flash (no prompts) and its probably saving your old bios to disk (if that is one of the switches) which maybe why it seems like its taking so long. If the flashing process begins, whatever you do..DONT stop it or you may lose your bios completely.

Al

That Dos command has been bugging me since I first saw it, take the underscore out (the one after the r) as I think that may just be the typing position cursor. I bet the example is an actual screenshot of the command.

Make it look like this:

awdflash nf7d_21.bin /cc /cd /cp /py /sn /cks /r

Al

check it, this is what it says. i figured out what it wants but im not sure of the commands to give it so maybe u will know. it read as follows:

AWDFLASH v8.23k (02/21) blah blah blah
Usage: AWPFLASH [FileName1] [FileName2] [/<sw>[/<sw...]
FileName1: new bios name for flash programming
FileName2: bios file for backing-up the original bios
<switches> ?: shows help message
py: program flash memory
pn: no flash programming
sy: back-up original bios to disk file
sn: no original bios backup
sb: skip bootblock programming
cc: clear CMOS data after programming
cp: clear PnP(ESCD) data after programming
Lp: destroy CMOS checksum and no system halt for first boot after programming
tiny: occupy lesser memory
qi: qualify flash part number with source file
e: retrun to DOS after programming
r: reset system after programming
f: use flash routines in original bios for flash programming
cks: show update binfile checksum
cksXXX: compare binfile checksum with XXXX
NVMAC: XXXXXXXXXXXX
NVGUID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Support nForce Input MAC, GUID functio with "/wb" to update MAC and GUID.
Example:
AWDFLASH 6A69R000.bin /py/sn/nvmac:XXXXXXXXXXXX/wb

i dont know what commands to give. do u understand what i mean?

AL Romero said:
check it, this is what it says. i figured out what it wants but im not sure of the commands to give it so maybe u will know. it read as follows:

AWDFLASH v8.23k (02/21) blah blah blah
Usage: AWPFLASH [FileName1] [FileName2] [/<sw>[/<sw...]
FileName1: new bios name for flash programming
FileName2: bios file for backing-up the original bios
<switches> ?: shows help message
py: program flash memory
pn: no flash programming
sy: back-up original bios to disk file
sn: no original bios backup
sb: skip bootblock programming
cc: clear CMOS data after programming
cp: clear PnP(ESCD) data after programming
Lp: destroy CMOS checksum and no system halt for first boot after programming
tiny: occupy lesser memory
qi: qualify flash part number with source file
e: retrun to DOS after programming
r: reset system after programming
f: use flash routines in original bios for flash programming
cks: show update binfile checksum
cksXXX: compare binfile checksum with XXXX
NVMAC: XXXXXXXXXXXX
NVGUID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Support nForce Input MAC, GUID functio with "/wb" to update MAC and GUID.
Example:
AWDFLASH 6A69R000.bin /py/sn/nvmac:XXXXXXXXXXXX/wb

i dont know what commands to give. do u understand what i mean?

Ok, I see the problem.

The command line switches they give you are for an older version of awdflash, some of the older switches they tell you to use do not exist in the newer version you are using (cd for example). This causes the program to abort and display the help file for the switches.

Try this:

awdflash nf7d_21.bin /cc /cp /py /sn /cks /r

Al

if i got back then my network card will stop working with a new Duron chip. thats why i did the bios update, cuz when i put the Duron in the nForce ethernet stopped working. strange but non the less after a bios update the networking card works. for now anyway. :)

Back