• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7-s rev 2.0 problems booting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djcomp

Registered
hi, i just got my new nf7-s rev 2.0. I installed everything properly and started up. Seemed fine, i pressed delete and went into the bios to check the settings. In the soft menu, it said the current cpu was athlon xp 1100 mhz (100x11) but in the setting it says it's a 2500+ with fsb 166 and multi 11 and the cpu interface is disabled. So i change nothing and restart it and it posts the correct info, xp2500 and list my drives but then the system hangs. What is the problem here? another time i just left the bios after resetting it and on bootup it read the processor as athlon xp 1100 mhz and continued to boot normally until the windows loading screen then a quick flash of the bsod and restart. For this second windows problem, i was told to do a fresh install of windows or a repair since my old board had a kt400 chipset. but that doesn't fix the cpu problem before it even get to windows. any help would be much appreciated, as i am using my aunt's crappy dell to write this.

also, i now have a stick of samsung pc3200 512mb there now and the cpu speed reads 333 when the processor comes up xp2500 and ddr400 when it boots as athlon 1100mhz

I have the same problem with my new nf7s. It won't load into windows. Just get the quick flash of the bsod and then it reboots. Any answers??

I posted the last post as big_pimp_modder cause i was over at his place. Anyway, I think I figured out the problem. It makes sense that with Win XP's anti-piracy that if you made a bunch of changes to your puter that XP won't boot. So, this is what I found:

You probably need to repair your boot.ini file

1. Start your computer with the WinXP CD.
2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows, by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
3. Select the Windows installation you want, and then type the administrator password, if you have established one. Otherwise press Enter.
4. Type bootcfg /rebuild, and press Enter.

When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:

Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All).
Type Y in response to this message.

Enter Load Identifier: This is the name of the operating system. Type Window XP Professional or Windows XP home Edition. (See below example)

Your Boot.in file should look something like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

After WinXP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry.

Here is the other option I found too:

It's XP baby....
You've thrown it for a loop.
I did it to myself not too long ago.
You will have to do an in place upgrade on XP.
All that new hardware has got XP nervous about performing it's duties.
With all the anti-piracy software XP has on it.
You catch my drift.
So. Enter BIOS setup and set your CD/DVD ROM to first boot device.
Boot from the XP CD.
Choose to install windows.
Choose to install it in the partition where XP already resides.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT FORMAT!
You will install XP on top of itself.
You won't loose any data.
Your computer will boot up.
Then I would get all important files backed up to some CD's.
I would reformat the HDD.
I would reload XP Pro.
I would reinstall all my drivers.
I would reinstall all my programs.
I would transfer all my backed up files back over to my machine.
I would enjoy my new computer.

could also be simple voltage ratings within the bios, start simple, but if you swapped out the MObo, then you should expect to do a complete and clean reinstall of windows

Yea, I wasn't thinking last night. I'm gonna do a new install of XP, and see how it goes. I think the only thing I kept from my old comp is my hard drive!!!!:D

just a note, the mobo seems to default to 100X11 whenever i push it too far and it wont post...i jsut cut the power and turn it back on, it posts at 100X 11 and says the cpu is unworkable or something.

ditto what como said. And djcomp, I think if you fix the Windows problem it will fix the problems you are having with your BIOS settings.

Back