• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ideas for fan shroud/duct

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mumrah

ok, so bascially, i'm trying to integrate the principle of a cold air intake on a car to my radiator. the radiator fans are drawing air from inside the computer, which is ~7*C greater than the air outside the case. So if the rad fans draw cooler air, the exhausted air will be able to transfer more heat out of the system... not to mention if there is a solid seal on the duct and it is heat resistant, it will not take on much of the ambiant case air.

Also, with this setup, the other intakes could be used to arranged in a push/pull to better cool the case (instead of the current push/push to sent enough air to the rad fans.

My radiator is top mounted with two 120mm vantec stealths fastened to a gladware full size entree dish (nice fit!)... anybody have any suggestions for a material to create a duct from one of the 5 inch bays to the 2 rad fans?

.________________radiator__
|......................|fan1 | fan2|
|.......................\_________| <--duct
|......................................|
|......................................| Front of case
|.........._..........................|
|.........|_|..side intake........|
|......................................| <-- front intake
|________________________|<-- front intake

the ...'s represent me being bored :)

I'm thinking maybe some fiberglass and epoxy.
any ideas are welcome

-David

Looks interesting. Fiberglass and epoxy would work, and so would Lexan I'd imagine. You could probably bend/cut some sheet aluminum also. You might be worried about a little airflow restriction though...so keep that in mind.

Your case air can't be THAT much hotter than ambient, can it?

i used cardboard and black electric tape, works better then you'd think :)
and, if u got wood cutting skillz, there's wood.

Back