• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SK8V Hi Temp(127C) With Zalman Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drkCrix

Registered
I recently purchased a Asus SK8V motherboard, Opteron 144 and the Zalman WB2 Waterblock. According to Zalmans website the waterblock supports the socket 754 cpu, and after reading info on amd’s website found out that both the socket 754 and socket 940 (SK8V) both use the same mounting bracket. So armed with this knowledge I proceeded to assemble the board and cpu as per the directions that came with the waterblock.

I then proceeded to power on the system, which appeared to post normally until I got the CPU OVERTEMP error, I proceeded to enter the BIOS and checked the temperature and it reported a temperature of 127C, oddly this did not automatically shutdown the system, after seeing the temp I quickly shut down the system. Thinking that this was a BIOS error I proceeded to clear the CMOS and rebooted, Same Problem. Next I turned on the system and let it run for a few minutes, as I am using watercooling if the temperature was indeed 127C the water would start to boil, which it didn’t. So I continued to install windows which went fine.

Once windows had been installed I quickly installed Asus Probe (Latest version) which reported the temperature as 127C. Frustrated I decided to take the system apart and try installing everything again just to make sure that the waterblock was not improperly installed. This is where I noticed the problem.

I had the AMD bracket sitting next to the Zalman bracket, and I noticed that the cutout in the AMD was larger (both LxW) then the Zalman, so I took a look at the back of the board and noticed that there was a small resister that had been touching the back plate.

I then took my dremel tool and removed a small area from the back plate so that the resistor would no longer be touching it. I then reassembled everything and hit the power button and went into the BIOS where it reported 26C and everything was normal.

I am unsure if this problem is happening on all AMD 940pin boards, or on just a select few of the SK8V as this is my first AMD 64 system.

*Edit* I Have talked with Zalamn and they have changed the backplate on the newer coolers

Back