• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3/4" set up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have planned on doing this, after I move my current setup over to my video card and then go for a heatercore and better block for my CPU.

Hey Drak

You may be intersted in the thread I started about this.

Its here on the front page.
Im not sure how to post a link but its titeled
opinion on 2 rads and 3/4" ID to cpu

Basicly im going to try to keep the entire system at least 3/4" ID
Ill have to make a block myself and probably going to use two rads. I might use one of the other bigger rads that some of the guys posted in that thread.
Theres a few real good heater cores so now I have to figure whether to split the line into two and use two rads then reconnect on the other side or find a big enough rad that the internal flow is at least 3/4 and just use one.
Im leaning towards two right now

I also have a thread posted about the block that I might try to make.
Its here on the front page too.
Its called my idea for a homemade block
The koolance base appeals to me because then all I have to do is break the top off and seal everything in in my own design of a top.

Maybe you can get some ideas there at one of those threads.

Later

Wardog

Also J
I was wondering what is in the rest of your system for parts?
Did you make that block?

wardog, yes i made all of it.

im using a shurflo piranha 500 pump, the output is 3/4" thats why i kept that size of hose for the rest of the system.

here some pics

Attachments

• dcp_1483a.jpg
    dcp_1483a.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 124
Looks good

Have you used smaller tubing in past systems?
If so did you see an improvement by the move to 3/4?

Thats pretty big res too and apretty big heater core.
I guess the whole thing is pretty big.

It looks good though.
I think I might be forced to make an external box for mine because of the size of my case. Ive tried to come up with ways to keep everything internal but Im not sure if I can really do any of them without effecting performance.

Later

Wardog

umm less restrictive = more flow= lower temps in theory. I am not a physics geek either but it makes sense.

never used smaller hoses on this system, no way to compare.

sorry.

yes, all the system is huge, i guess ill be trying some "bigger is better" philosophy.

the pump is rated 500gph, really nice.

Bigger isn’t always the best. If you’re planning on using the same pump your going to lose water velocity, and flow rate. You max head is going to decrease since there is going to be more water in the tubing that is has to push. You can call the pump manufacture and they will tell you which tubing size will work best for that pump. With a higher velocity you increase your convection coefficient h. As water passes over surface there is a small area of water that doesn’t move at the same rate as the rest of the water called a boundary layer. This happens in the tubing and inside the water block where you don’t want it to happen. They try to make the block have a turbulent flow, which will help stop boundary layers from forming. The down side is with their designs you lose flow rate, which also plays a big roll in cooling. So you need two thing flow and velocity. They go hand in hand you can’t change one with out changing the other, unless you put more energy into the system like upgrading you pump. I would check out these two books “Liquid Cooling Of Electronic Devices By Single-Phase Convection” ISBN#0-471-15986-7 and “Heat Transfer in Electronic and Microelectronic Equipment” ISBN#0-89116-277-1 another good book is “Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer” ISBN#0-471-38650-2

The pump I am using is a Via aqua 306a
It has 3/4" outputs and with that output has a 526gph rating.
Im not home right now so I cant read the paperwork to see what the head is but Ill try to remember to post it later.

If you use a pump that uses a 3/4 output then all of its ratings should be based on that.
In fact I find that alot of people have pumps with larger outputs then they use. They almost always cut it down to 1/2 or 3/8.
This will only cut flow by forced restriction. So that in the end their pump is no longer flowing at what it was rated.

Wardog

extremecorvette said:
Bigger isn’t always the best. If you’re planning on using the same pump your going to lose water velocity, and flow rate. You max head is going to decrease since there is going to be more water in the tubing that is has to push.

Could you find a source that proves this? Since pump curve graphs are always flow vs. head (feet), and head is not a measure of volume, I assumed that volume in the system doesn't matter, and only height does.

I'm pretty sure that bigger tubing and bigger pump always equals a higher flowrate.

Could someone with more knowledge on the subject chime in?

having bigger tubes should simply mean that during the time the water is travelling throught the tubes, there will be less resistance on the water flow. So less of the head will be used.
Choosing higher flow blocks (or self made) will take even more advantage of this. Although, low flow block systems would benefit too. Just think "less resistance". There is such a fine balance where something becomes to much of something, like too big a pump, will put lots more heat into the water, thereby making its increased flow pointless, when compared to a lower energy pump. But giving the water more room to flow will benefit the system, of course 2" ID tubing would be a little overkill, and wouldn't exactly be easy to impliment ;) Remember with bigger tubing there is a greater chance of kinking, so it would be wise to use good quality thick walled tubing, or use wire wrapping to stop collapsing.

Back