• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone hear of an nf7-s thatll do 235fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

my mobo is limiting my ram, funny eh? unless any of you think ram that is memtest86 stable at 220fsb at 2.5-2-2-11 wont even load windows at 226fsb at 2.5-4-4-11 so anyway anyone know of a bios that lets you use higher chipset volts beyond 1.7? why is arctic silver better? it can short out your mobo! will using mofosets really help and what should they be made of? where do I purchase mofosets. also how complex is the chipset volt mod? ram volt mod? 240fsb times 10 for 2.4GHz would own :)

I wont be doing anything just yet till I recieve my two sticks of corsair xms pc3200 then ill see what happens. also since the 10.5x multi is a no go at fsb past 210(another nf7-s bug) its either 220fsb at 11x or 235+ at 10x multi. so if I choose to mod, I MUST be sure of getting minimum of 235fsb!

I heard of a few people getting close to or above 250 on a Soltek nforce2, but never an nf7-s.

why is arctic silver better?

Actually for GPU's and northbridges and stuff, I have heard that OCZ ultra 2 is the best.

1.) It performs as good or better than AS3
2.) It is much thicker than any of the AS's which is supposedly good for GPU's and northbridges
3.)Despite its gray silvery shinyness, it does not conduct electricity. I spilled this stuff all over my cpu, my vidcard and my mobo and had no problems. The only thing is it stains, I bet im the only one who has a gray/white/silver AMD hehehehe.

Sorry, I don't know much about volt modding, you may want to try the volt modding section ;)

Good Luck! I hope you can reach 240+fsb and keep your mosfets and northbridge cool!

Cheers
-0cer
:cool:

Actually, there are a LOT of NF7-S' I've seen that did >250fsb, pretty much the majority used d10 or one of the tictac modded d10's. I've seen a couple stable at 265fsb, well, stable enough to take sandra benches :p

Although vdd mods are still popular, it has somewhat been shown that the NF7-S northbridge doesn't need high volts to go to high fsb. Most people have found actually, that 1.5v is the best setting for high fsb's, all the people that had >250fsb were using the 1.5v setting. I can run 233x9.5 prime stable @ 1.5v northbridge, but that only gives me 2.2ghz on the cpu, and so gives me less performance than 217x11 (2.4ghz on the cpu). You're lucky that you at least have your 10x multiplier. Most NF7-S users lose their 10 and 10.5 mulits (like me), otherwise i would definitely be running 233x10!. But yah, I can even run sandra benches in windows @ 242x9.5, thought it's by no means Prime stable, this is at 1.5v northbridge too.

Most people find that cooling their mosfets helps to stabilize their cpu vcore (which fluctuates like a mofo). I haven't done it myself though, I'm just too lazy to cut up some old heatsink to fit, there are like 6 and they're so small!

Last edited:
so I need the d10 bios for high fsb? I also heard the d10 bios fixes the 10.5x bug so you can use that multi :)

Yep, if you really want to push it, it's d10 all the way. Yah, it's not so much that it "fixes" it, it's the the d10 was the only bios where the 10/10.5 multi problem didn't exist in the first place, it was only "introduced" afterwards.

The only thing that may make you hesitate is that the d10's (even the modded ones, tictac modded ones anyways) I believe still occasionally suffer from bios corruption. I'm not as well-read in it anymore though, as I run SATA drives, and no d10 offers SATA-corruption free performance, so it's possible it may be fixed. I think the older Equito modded d10, the one that was created by Mickey Padge from amdboards (*almost* fixes the SATA-corruption problem) DOES fix the bios corruption problem, so you may want to look into that one. You should still be able to find it on the abit-usa forums, if it's not there, send me a pm and I can e-mail it to you. You may want to read up on the tictac modded bioses (there are huge threads on it at the abit-usa forums) before you flash those ones though, unless you have a bios savior :p

dont be so quick to jump the bios 10 bandwagon ;p Ive tried to use bios 10 twice... and both times it corrupted my windows files. I didnt flash it when i was oced either. Many do great w/ 10, only wish I did too.

then how are you getting the 10.5 multi? I cant get it past 210fsb using that bugged multi :(

i couldn't post above 225 with any of 3 nf7-s boards untill after the vdd mod. I did the mod on 2 of them. they will now post up until the point where the ram craps out. about 260 on the one with buffalo bh-5 chips, somewhere around 245 for the one with buffalo chips using micron modules.

J.

wow that is amazing! by how many tenths of a volt did you increase it by? I may need to mod mine now, I sometimes cant get a boot at 226fsb either and I doubt its the ram since itll do 220 at 2.5-2-2-11 error free but 2.5-4-4-11 no go at 226 so it may be the chipset! since your online, whats your aim screename so I can chat in real time about the pencil trick for vdd?

you need to give your ram 2.9v and try 2.5-3-3-11 timings to eliminate your ram as a factor. if that doesnt get you more fsb, then its your board. I know cause my ram does 220fsb fine at 2.5-2-2-11 but no post at 226 even at worst timings

I've found that 2.5-3-3-11 timings seem to give you the best timings-for-oc (check mine out) and you shouldn't feel *too* bad about having somewhat slower timings because they really don't make all that much of a difference when it comes to games and stuff... the difference between 2-2-2-6 timings and 3-4-4-8 really isn't all that much, usually about 5%. Also, keep your tRAS (the lastr number, eg x-x-x-tRAS) should be CAS+RAS+precharge+2 = tRAS, so for 2.5-3-3 timings you get 2.5+3+3+2 = 10.5, so round to 11 for 2.5-3-3-11... that gives you the most bandwidth for your particular timings.

Anyhow, if you want to hit very high fsb's, you don't *need* to have the d10's - in fact, I hate the d10's (well, for one they killed my board, lol), lost my stability at 2402 with it, anyhow, all you need to hit high FSB's are the vdd mod, good NB cooler, a good PSU, and very high-end ram (use something like PC3700 or higher, even if most are only recommended for Intel boards, they work awesome on the nforce2 boards)... that really all you need, prefereably water-cooling all around, with high fsb's you push extreme amounts of heat and pretty much only water will dissipate enough wattage fast enough to give you stability

hm,ok,tested,and my ram is stable at 230 with 11-3-3-2,5(only problem is,that my board wont let me use this,with a multiplier from 11-would need over 2,2 vcore...)

227 stable with 11-3-3-2...and,like i said,if i give more voltage,my ram starts making errors(pc3200 corsair c2 v1.2 doesnt like it...)

I dont have the problem of losing my 10 and 10.5 multis thankfully

edit
i thought you only lost those w/ bartons

ok,i tried something just for fun(and for benching :p)

i used 11-2-2-2 and tried every voltage...

2,9=unstable
2,8=unstable
2,7=STABLE
2,6=unstable

that was at 225 fsb...

i have tried that before,with another nf7-s and it wasnt stable even at 200 fsb...so,maybe burnin,or it is the new mobo...i dont know...

Cow2kie said:
I dont have the problem of losing my 10 and 10.5 multis thankfully

edit
i thought you only lost those w/ bartons

I have a tbred and whats weird is I cant use the 10.5x past 210fsb. also at 230fsb it wont boot at .5 multis :rolleyes:
that means its either 220fsb times 11 for 2.42GHz or 230 times 10 for 2.3GHz of course my cpu wont do 230x11 for 2.53GHz not many cpus will, at least not on air. I think 230x10 probably will still own 220x11 anyway since fsb>cpu

I might get the d10 bios if its proven that the 10.5x will work and if my xms ram does 230 at good timings. 220fsb at good timings own 230 at "fair" timings, trust me

few things about the NF7-S:

- not ALL will perform better with BIOS10 (any version), some newer ones don't (like mine)

- higher Vdd may not be better/more stable (235FSB at 1.6V Vdd right here)

- you will most likely need more than 2.9V for 230 - 235 range. IF your RAM will do that at all (is it BH-5?). Keep timings at 2-2-2 and give the RAM more volts (BH-5 loves juice)

- Vdd and Vdimm mods are very easy to do - much performance to be gained.

my ram is ch-5 as far as i know...it is memtest stable at 225fsb and 11-2-2-2,but my pc will restart in prime benching etc...

if i set voltage to 2,8 vdimm it isnt memtest stable,but wont cause random reboots...i gues,it just wont do 11-2-2-2...:/

Sigh,:( Mine will do 235 in memtest, but it wont boot into windoz. Highest windows boot is 9.5x228. Just got mine but im workin on it!

Back