• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First watercooling setup, are these temps right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ad Rock

Well I think I might be disapointed in my watercooling set-up if I am gonna get these temps. Right now it is sitting at 45 Idle, 31 case , 18 ambient and 51 load. Earlier tonight I was sitting at 57 load!. My set up is a caprice heatercore with 2 120mm shrouded Vantec stealths, Swittech 5000A (rev1) block, Hydor L30 pump with a nice little res. All this is mounted inside a Antec AMG 1000 Case. My cpu is a 1700+ running at 2315mhz at 1.8 Vcore. Tell me if these temps sound normal? I really didnt like that I was sitting at 57 load earlier tonight I was hoping for load temps in the mid 40's.

Sounds like something is amiss, you should be closer to the case temp.

Check the seating/TIM on the waterblock.

Are they stealths running @ full 12v?

Might be that your case temp is a little high, try it with the side of your case off. Whats your room temp anyways? But you are also running at 1.8V and when i ran my 1700 at 1.85 i was getting about the same temps under load as you are 57C i think it was but it is also a SMP system so a single should be a little lower but I dont think my much. Only when i brought my voltage down to 1.7v could i get some temps I can live with, 52c peak.

Hrmmm I think I might have gotten ahead of myself in doubting my water cooling. The temperature situation has seemed to improve quite a bit. I am now sitting at around 48c under load. I think I might of still had some air in the lines last night or something I dont really know why the temps were so high. I am gonna improve the air flow on the res this weekend, lap the water block, instal a blow hole and put in my cable sleeving kit. All of those things should help lower my case and load temps so I will hold off a final judgement until I get my case set up properly :).

Yeah thats a good peak temp for that voltage. I think your setup is fine now but if you want to try and improve it, it cant hurt. I think the AMD chip limit is like 60C but 55-59 should be avoided for extended use. Anything below that is fine.

Ad Rock said:
Well I think I might be disapointed in my watercooling set-up if I am gonna get these temps. Right now it is sitting at 45 Idle, 31 case , 18 ambient and 51 load. Earlier tonight I was sitting at 57 load!. My set up is a caprice heatercore with 2 120mm shrouded Vantec stealths, Swittech 5000A (rev1) block, Hydor L30 pump with a nice little res. All this is mounted inside a Antec AMG 1000 Case. My cpu is a 1700+ running at 2315mhz at 1.8 Vcore. Tell me if these temps sound normal? I really didnt like that I was sitting at 57 load earlier tonight I was hoping for load temps in the mid 40's.

First remount the WB. Try to apply around 24 lbs of pressure. This pressure needs to be very even too. Also use a new application of AS5/AS3. Common knowledge says don't use too much but I actually didn't use enough and had temp's similar to yours.

Second: I'm runnin 2410 mhz @ 1.70 volts. Lowering your voltage will help your temperatures. I currently run around 38* load but I'm due for a remount because I have been moving the tubes a lot which had adverse effects on the evenness of pressure on my core.

Third: Make sure you aren't using too much coolant.

And Last: What kind of air is going through your heatercore? When I have the case door closed (where the air comes in) the amount of outside air is greatly reduced and most of the air that is cooling my system is reused warm computer air(38 idle!). When I open the door my temps drop to 32 idle. I've been trying to come up for a solution to this problem but I can't find a good way to bring in new air without tearing up the front of my case.

Good luck!
Nanidin

Juiblex79 said:
Yeah thats a good peak temp for that voltage. I think your setup is fine now but if you want to try and improve it, it cant hurt. I think the AMD chip limit is like 60C but 55-59 should be avoided for extended use. Anything below that is fine.

My overall high temperature for this chip (now running 2410mhz @ 38 load) is about 110C. Don't ask me how this is possible, but I assure you both the probe and the diode read 110. I was afraid I had killed it so I posted immediately and received advice to try again. Tried again, still works fine to this day!

ps- I was runnin the 1700 @ stock speeds with my stock duron cooler (complete with 60mm fan! lol)

I am using an antec AMG 1080 case so it is bringing air in thru the front of the case through that grill type thingy :). There is a steel plate that seems to cover half the front inside the case and you can see directly thru the grille so I plan on fixing both of these issues with my dremel.

it sounds like your case airflow isn't very good if you have 18c ambient and 31c case. I only get that high a case temp if it's hot in my room

I just reseated my waterblock and before I was getting a temp of 57 C while surfing webpages and after it dropped to 48 C after a half hour of cs. I didn't think it could make such a difference.

Back