• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning an extreme 9800pro overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

hmm im lookin to overclock my 9800 pro AIW to the limit.

When i say to the limit, i meant it, to the limit...

Voltmod and everything.

I'm aiming at 500 core....

Im thinking of either adding it to my watercooling loop or smack a petlier with a heatsink on it.

One problem i have with watercooling it is it might dramatically increase watertemps and make the cpu run hotter, especially if i do watercool/peltier.

You guys got any input?

The only block that I know of that will work with the AIW is the MCW50 by Swiftech. This is the one that I use. You can also get the pelt version. Personally, I don't think pelting a GPU is worth it. I think 500 core would be a lofty goal, and to what end? There really aren't any games out there yet that require such a fast GPU, and when they do arrive they will probably have huge textures and such that will require more memory than what the AIW has. I could be wrong on that, but this is what I have gathered from others at rage3d.com

The best overclock I have been able to achieve on my AIW with the MCW50 is 410. There's a thread on overclocking of 9800's at rage3d.com somewhere. It turns out that you can overclock the hell out of the core and still see stable 2D (which leads you to falsely think you have achieved a stable overclock), but when it comes time to play a 3D game you see loads of artifacts, which causes you to turn down the overclock substantially.

I admire your efforts (or intensions) but I advise you to research this very carefully before investing your $$$. I'd hate to see you disappointed.

Yeah, be careful where you set your goals. Not to put you down, but I hate it when I decide to shoot for something and just can't make it. It's much better to just do what you can and see how far you can get. :) TECs and voltmods sure sound like fun though, as long as you're careful. :D

How much core temperature increase you see is probably pretty dependent on your current water setup. What are your specs?

ooo voltmod... I've heard so many bad stories about cards that are volt mod and after 3 months ZIP ZAP!!!...

MCW50 is a good block and you can go with a pelt... I have that block but what's limiting my OC on the GPU is voltage not temperature but I do not want to volt mod as I cant shell out money like that...

I have a volt modded 9800pro, peltier cooled by a Maze4-1 waterblock. With the Vmod my core will lock up around 477 or so, stable around 460. Vmod only gave me about 20mhz. With just a maze3 waterblock, no vmod, it was stable around 430. Stock cooler was good for about 411. Upping the voltage won't add a ton of heat to the system, but my peltier added a LOT of heat to my loop. I had to add another fan to my heatercore. It seems that people everywhere are talking about 500 this, 525 that, but they probably went through 4 or 5 cards to find it. Plus, they usually have crazy cooling. say, -50C or so. After all the stuff I did to my card, I turned the voltage back down, and run it at 411/360. No reason to push it any harder for anything but benchmarks. It was a lot of fun, but if I had it to do over, I might just leave it stock.

I dont reccomend the mcw-50T. This thing cant even keep up w/ my ti200 its sad :(.

im also planning to peltier cool my card. right now its a ti4200turbo, but it will be upgraded in the near future.
now my question is, wich radiator would you suggest to cool this setup? there will be no additional blocks, only the vid-card with the MCW50-T. the radiator has to fit in my pc60 case though, so im limited to something with the dimensions of a blackice pro/extreme.
any comments are appreciated.

Sounds very interesting, I bet it would take some type of phaze change system. but then after all said and done you have to debate weather it was worth it or not to do that.

Creepy: There is no reason that it wouldnt be able to keep up with it, maybe its a bad mount or something else. One of the reasons for high temps is that those chips on those cards are quite concave.

Jon

JFettig said:
Sounds very interesting, I bet it would take some type of phaze change system. but then after all said and done you have to debate weather it was worth it or not to do that.

Creepy: There is no reason that it wouldnt be able to keep up with it, maybe its a bad mount or something else. One of the reasons for high temps is that those chips on those cards are quite concave.

Jon

I didn't know they were concave! Intersesting. So does that mean that one should put a fairly large glob of thermal paste on it then?

MoreGooder said:

I didn't know they were concave! Intersesting. So does that mean that one should put a fairly large glob of thermal paste on it then?

There's a plastic shroud around the core and paint/copper on top of it. You can lap it. If you do lap it make sure to mask off the rest of the card so you don't get copper dust on it.
I lapped a ti4600 that I used to have. It was pretty easy actually. You just need a small flat block to use with the sandpaper. I used 400 grit and then 600 and I dry sanded it.

pelikan said:

There's a plastic shroud around the core and paint/copper on top of it. You can lap it. If you do lap it make sure to mask off the rest of the card so you don't get copper dust on it.
I lapped a ti4600 that I used to have. It was pretty easy actually. You just need a small flat block to use with the sandpaper. I used 400 grit and then 600 and I dry sanded it.

Are you referring to what is commonly called the "shim"? The MCW50 sits within the shim, so it doesn't even come in contact with it.

MoreGooder said:

Are you referring to what is commonly called the "shim"? The MCW50 sits within the shim, so it doesn't even come in contact with it.

I was referring the creepy's gf3 card.

Back