• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super LANBoy, PC65... etc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrMOSFET

Still looking for a high quality, low noise, lightweight, mid-tower sized computer case... that I will attach an external water cooling box to. price range is from $0 - $200

So far I have been considering the Antec Super LANBoy, but I have read that there is a lot of plastic and overall cheap feel to it...

The Lian Li PC-60 looks nice, but I dont like the noisy 80mm fans.. a low speed 120 mm fan system would be better.

Any recommendations?

the sonata looks pretty good and has 120 front and back fans

but seriously those lian lis are in a category of its own.. 80 mm or not its still a great case

MrMOSFET said:

Aren't those cases suggested for putting the water cooling system inside the case?
Yes they are. You'd think I'd read some threads more clearly wouldn't you?

Yep, you'd think that! :rolleyes:

Honestly for high quality, I'd go with the Kingwin KT-424, super flower 201, coolermaster, or lian li. In my opinion, these cases are very classy and the internals are very user friendly. Besides, who wants to see another dragon case :D Internal watercooling would be a problem since it's not as big as a dragon, but since you're doing an external setup you won't have to worry about it.

jlin453 said:
Honestly for high quality, I'd go with the Kingwin KT-424, super flower 201, coolermaster, or lian li. In my opinion, these cases are very classy and the internals are very user friendly. Besides, who wants to see another dragon case :D Internal watercooling would be a problem since it's not as big as a dragon, but since you're doing an external setup you won't have to worry about it.

Well those all look really nice. I am not a big fan of the looks of the Super Flower. Too many windows.

So I guess I have boiled it down to the follwoing cases:

Lian-Li
- PC-60
- PC-65
- PC-6077

CoolerMaster
- Wave Master (TAC-T01-E1C)
* Will an Audigy drive bay fit behind the bay door?
- Praetorian (PAC-T01-E1)

Kingwin
- KT-424

I have had experience with the Lian-Li PC-70 and have been quite happy with it. I don't really have any experience with the others. Feedback from anyone that has had experience with these cases would be great. Thanks!

For these cases (aluminum cases w/ slidable mobo tray - which seem to only come w/ 80mm fans ;)), you could always look into drilling out a 120mm (4 3/8") fan hole in the front to replace the 80mm set-up. From there, you could look into removing the front hard drive bay on these cases and replacing it with a small (Chevette size or smaller) heater core/radiator.

You will (almost) never find a perfect case, especially a perfect case while under a budget. All cases will have some thing against them that one would just have to deal with.

For water-cooling, you might want the largest case that fits what your looking for. Some sizes for popular water-cooling cases are listed below:

AMS CF-1006 Series - 431mm (H) x 482mm (D) x 216mm (W)
Antec SLK3700AMB Series - 465mm (H) x 473mm (D) x 210mm (W)
Antec Super LAN BOY Series - 20mm (H) x 435mm (D) x 208mm (W)
Chieftec Dragon Series - 522mm (H) x 473mm (D) x 205mm (W)
Chieftec Full-Tower Series - 670mm (H) x 473mm (D) x 205mm (W)
Cooler Master Praetorian Series - 452mm (H) x 497 (D) x 196mm (W)
Cooler Master WaveMaster Series - 550mm (H) x 452mm (D) x 196mm (W)
Kingwin KT-424 Series - 440mm (H) x 500 (D) x 208mm (W)
Lian-Li PC-60USB Series - 450mm (H) x 490mm (D) x 210mm (W)
Super-Flower TT-201Series - 457mm (H) x 502mm (D) x 210mm (W)

I think the stumbling block is that if you're going external then the size/shape/features of the case for your system really isn't as critical as if you're going internal. Although looks count it's not as critical as making sure your case has room for your rad and pump in an internal setup, so this thread makes it easy to assume you're going with an internal setup. How's this for help:

EXTERNAL BOX

Something else I've noticed about these cases: the PC-60 only comes with one 80mm exhaust opening in the rear, but you can carefully cut out another right underneith it much like your PC-70. if not, you could always make it a 92mm opening.

Also, the Superflower listed first (the silver one) has no windows.
http://www.directron.com/casuperflower.html

MrMOSFET said:

Well those all look really nice. I am not a big fan of the looks of the Super Flower. Too many windows.

So I guess I have boiled it down to the follwoing cases:

Lian-Li
- PC-60
- PC-65
- PC-6077

CoolerMaster
- Wave Master (TAC-T01-E1C)
* Will an Audigy drive bay fit behind the bay door?
- Praetorian (PAC-T01-E1)

Kingwin
- KT-424

I have had experience with the Lian-Li PC-70 and have been quite happy with it. I don't really have any experience with the others. Feedback from anyone that has had experience with these cases would be great. Thanks!

The lian li's come with a fan controller. I have a lian li 60 from about 2 years ago and it came with a little switch for low medium and high. I have them set to medium in front of my radiator to push and a 172mm fan in back at 5v for pull and my computer is pretty silent.

Back