• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another interesting pump 12V dc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeerHunter

It's called laing made in germany I think.

http://www.oberread.com/laing.htm

Maximum power required:
D2 7 Watts
D3 11 Watts
D4 16 Watts

Here are some performance curves:
laing_3.gif

laing_2.gif

laing_1.gif

neilmon2 said:
How much?

Speaking to them on the phone now.

$95US for the D4

Need to talk to Laing Thermotech directly. (619) 575 7466.

Ask for "Mike".

Getting information from him now. Pumps are continuous duty with ~50000hr MTBF

14W current draw for the D4 under load

4"x4"x4" in size.

Excellent info Cathar. When you get the specs don't forget to ask about dB. The same company if found these Laings sells Iwaki RD/24VDC series which are inaudiable at 20dB but they are expensive as gold. Plus they are 24 volts and most power supplies will not support that load because the -12V rail is only designed for between 0.5A-2.0A.:(

http://www.oberread.com/IW_RD_Series.htm

From the graph aren't the specs of the d4 similar the mcp600 but it draws more watts and costs more? Or have i got the wrong impression?
They do seem to have a great rated life though.

9mmCensor said:
Humm thats about 2084 days (5.7 years), how long do normal AC pumps last for?

Warranteed for 2 years typically. Anything after that is "grace".

A 50000hr MTBF falls into the same life-span category as a decent AC motor. Basically it could last longer, or it may not last as long, but the same applies to AC motors too.

found404 said:
From the graph aren't the specs of the d4 similar the mcp600 but it draws more watts and costs more? Or have i got the wrong impression?

D4 - peak head 11ft, 6.3GPM peak flow
MCP600 - peak head 10.5ft, 3.0GPM peak flow

What I find is more important is flow rate at a certain pressure head.

I like to target 1.5-2GPM for my setups.

@1.5GPM - MCP600/7' head, D4/9' head
@2.0GPM - MCP600/5' head, D4/8' head

The D4 is providing higher pressure with its 14W power draw.

ILikeMy240sx said:
IMO, MCP600 might be a better choice than that D4...

Any idea how long a MCP600 would last?

10000hr bearing MTBF listed at the MCP600 OEM website. (see Page 12). Swiftech have a custom high-pressure head variant of that pump, whether or not the bearing life-span is different as a result, I am not sure.

BeerHunter said:

In my reading of the graph the D4 seems to have superior performance at every interval.

http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/pump_comparison__-_phaestus__1.php

The D4 is the near performance equivalent of the Danner Mag 3. I plotted the PQ curve and the two pumps are extremely similar, being within 5% of each other at various points on the PQ curve right from 0-5.5GPM. The D4 provides slightly more pressure than the Mag3 down low, but slightly less pressure/top-end flow but that's in the realm that no one ever sees anyway.

So basically we're looking at the size and performance equivalent of a Danner Mag 3, but in a 12VDC format with life-span to match.

Being a centrifugal DC brushless motor, I would imagine that the pump would be very quiet, just like every other pump of that type.

You plot wrong.

At 10 Head Feet:
MCP-600 delivers-20 GPH
D4 delivers- 40 GPH
Mag3- n/a

At 8 Head Feet:
MCP-600 delivers-47 GPH
D4 delivers- 120 GPH
Mag3- 50 GPH

At 6 Head Feet
MCP-600 delivers-110 GPH
D4 delivers- 195 GPH
Mag3- 180 GPH

If I had website I'd link excel file for you but please recheck your numbers. There is some interpolation of points though..I'm sure that's where the error lies.

BeerHunter said:
You plot wrong.

Nope.

Here's my plot for the Mag3, plus other pumps. The Mag3 data jumps all over the place, clearly due to rounding of values. Here's my attempt to smooth the data. Note that the Mag3 does have a 10.5' peak head.

Link to graph

Edit: Fixed graph link.

Back